Birthday Request

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flyboys

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Southeastern PA
Thanks to an idea from Smokinhusker, I made cheesesteaks out of left over London Broil (top round) I made a while ago. My daughter loved them so much that she requested them for her bday dinner tonight.
Problem. The forecast for today is heavy rains and wind gusts up to 50 mph. I don't have a covered area for my UDS and I'm still learning it, so I'm not even going to try it. Second problem, a tiny rib eye steak is $15, and I have to feed 10 tonight. Forget that as well.
So I bought two London broils, coated them with evoo and a homemade lone star rub. The last time I made them, they seemed a lot more tender after cooling and reheating them. So, with only a few hours to work with, I put them in a 225 oven with a water pan and plan on taking them to 130. I then let them rest and put them in the fridge, let them cool down, cut them and fry them up tonight. I know it's not smoked, but I'm working with what I can.

Looks good .

I know what ya mean about the wind.  I was going to do chicken tonight but its howling here.

You could have, a think it is bit too late at this point, injected it with goodies, one of them being Liquid smoke and had the smoked taste going for you. 

I know it suck, if your getting the leftovers from what we got yesterday, as far as rain and wind go.  Rain is gone from here, but the high winds are here now.

But that what you have, will taste good, but be lacking the smoke flavour

Happy Birthday to your Daughter and I do hope she likes this.

Shoot, I never would have thought of that. I have two bottles of Hickory too. They're sitting in the fridge now, but thank you for the idea! The rain has moved out of here, but it's still pretty windy.

After being cooled down in the fridge, I took them out to slice them. I will never, I repeat, never broil or grill one of these again. They came out perfect minus the smoke flavor. I almost don't want to fry them on the griddle. They were fork tender and almost melted in your mouth. Check this out.

They look awesome and it is wonderful that you cook for your daughter. Meals with family, priceless.

Disco

WOW.  Looks Awesome.

Thank you c farmer!

They look awesome and it is wonderful that you cook for your daughter. Meals with family, priceless.

Disco

Thank you Disco! I really enjoy cooking for the family. One thing my wife and I really try and do is eat dinner as a family, all together and without any electronics. I hope it carries on when they get older.

Looks great, can't wait for the final pics tell your girl happy b-day!!!!

Thank you driedstick! Pics are comin next!

Its about as good as it gets. Congrats to her on her birthday, and you on having a daughter that wants Daddy's cooking.

To heck with the weather, isn't it a beautiful day?

Thank you foamheart! I was honored that she asked me! You're right, it could have been raining boulders and it still would have been a wonderful day!

Man I am gonna have to try that.

Top round you say?

Yes, they were top round roasts, but marked as London Broils. I pulled them as soon as the temp hit 140, let them rest under foil for 10 mins or so, then cool completely in the fridge before cutting. I think that was the key. Let me know if you try it and how you make out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky