• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Birthday Party Smoked Turkey (Q-View)

bison

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 22, 2013
My son turned 7 so we had both sides of the family over today for a party and to watch some football.  My wife bought one of the biggest turkeys I have ever cooked, 19 lbs.  

I started with a brine of 1 gallon of water, 1 cup of Kosher salt, 1 T of pepper corns, 1 T of thyme.  I let the turkey brine for 24hrs.  After I took it out of the brine, I put it on a rack with a baking sheet under it.  I stuck it uncovered on the bottom shelf of my refrigerator for 2 days until the skin got nice and dry,

The rack the turkey is sitting on is the rack for my smoker.  As you can see, there is a slight problem.

I was worried about the size of the bird and staying clear of the 140 deg - 4 hr rule so I was going to spatchcock it anyway. But I needed to cut it in half in order for it to fit in my smoker.  I just added black pepper to both sides because the brine will impart all the salt and flavor that I'm looking for.

This big bird really didn't take as long as I thought it would.  It got to 165 deg in about 4 hrs.  I ran my smoker as hot as it would go and I could only muster 235 deg.  I use a Smoke Hollow electric.  It was probably about 45 - 50 deg outside in MN yesterday.  I also used my AMNPS filled with hickory pellets.

I ended up just shredding half of it and vac u packing the other half for a snowy MN winters day.  This ended up making enough for sandwiches for 11 people with a little left over for a sammy for me tomorrow for lunch!

kc5tpy

Master of the Pit
Joined May 12, 2013
Hello bison.  Great looking bird.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

boykjo

Sausage maker
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Apr 28, 2010
Nice bird..... I bet the birthday boy was happy

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.