Birthday Frogmore Stew...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...again except this time it was requested by my best friend's grandson who turned 14 yesterday. Here's a thread I posted showing how I make it so I'm not posting that again... https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/frogmore-stew.306684/

Just the ingredients...
  • 4 quarts of shrimp
  • 18 ears of fresh frozen corn
  • 5 lbs. small red potatoes cut in half
  • 3 lbs. yellow onions cut in half and each half cut into quarters
  • 6 packs of Hillshire smoked beef sausage cut into big bite size pieces
  • 1 stick unsalted butter
  • 2 lemons cut in half and squeezed
  • 3/4 cup of Louisiana Crawfish, Shrimp & Crab Boil seasoning
No other pictures except the finish...
20221114_184054[1].jpg

We had 20 people here to celebrate his birthday and this was more than enough food. This will be my last cook for awhile because after Friday, I'll be out of commission for a few, but I'll be checking in...

Looks good Charles. I hope it's nothing to serious. How did the stew get the name frogmore?

Point for sure
Chris

Looks good Charles. I hope it's nothing to serious. How did the stew get the name frogmore?

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks, Chris. I'm having ANOTHER rotator cuff surgery, my 4th. The rehab is a real pain in more ways than one.

Anyway, Frogmore is a small community on St. Helena Island which is near Beaufort, SC. This is where the version I make originated many, many years ago. It is also called Beaufort Stew and low country boil, but the locals call it Frogmore Stew. There are many variations of it and almost every coastal state has a version.

Thank you for your kind words...

Reactions: gmc2003
Looks great !

I just watched the episode of Chef's life where she makes this . Sure sounds good .

Good luck on the surgery . Get your elastic bands and a section of dowel rod ready .
When I had mine done they put that blocker shot in my neck . He told me to make sure I took the pain meds . Not much on pills , and it didn't hurt so I didn't take 'em .
That damn nerve block wore off a day later at 2:00 in the morning .
HOLY $%&) !!! Painful is an understatement .

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
When I had mine done they put that blocker shot in my neck . He told me to make sure I took the pain meds . Not much on pills , and it didn't hurt so I didn't take 'em .
That damn nerve block wore off a day later at 2:00 in the morning .
HOLY $%&) !!! Painful is an understatement .
That's exactly what I did the 1st time...NEVER AGAIN!! I thought I was going to die it hurt so bad...

Reactions: chopsaw
You just keep doing tis to me, don't you :emoji_laughing: I grew up not far from the Chesapeake Bay and those types of cookouts were done regularly, with abut a thousand different variations. We'd typically have a couple tons of the stew and a couple bushels of steamed spiced crabs, sit around all day drinking beer, and eating massive amounts of seafood. Oh the memories...

Robert

Looks incredible! Good luck on the surgery, you’ll have my families prayers. My Pop is going in for the same tomorrow and I’ve had to do one on each shoulder myself. No fun, but worth it in the long run. Stay motivated!

You just keep doing tis to me, don't you :emoji_laughing: I grew up not far from the Chesapeake Bay and those types of cookouts were done regularly, with abut a thousand different variations. We'd typically have a couple tons of the stew and a couple bushels of steamed spiced crabs, sit around all day drinking beer, and eating massive amounts of seafood. Oh the memories...

Robert
Thanks, Robert! Just trying to help you out, my friend...:emoji_wink:

Looks incredible! Good luck on the surgery, you’ll have my families prayers. My Pop is going in for the same tomorrow and I’ve had to do one on each shoulder myself. No fun, but worth it in the long run. Stay motivated!
I appreciate that, Jed...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky