Biltong mold

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hockeydudde

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
New Mexico
Started some biltong 3 says ago.
Just left overs from jerky making, so just a little experiment. Followed 2 Guys and a Cooler calculator for the salt, but just did pepper and Chile flakes. (Yes, my biltong box is cardboard, no I don't have a RH meter. I know I need to order one, lol)
PXL_20230101_215319534.jpg

Smallest one is done (50% loss). Second smallest is close.
PXL_20230104_233804205.jpg

But the larger 2 developed mold. It's very slight right now. Can be seen on the left one where it is wider.
PXL_20230104_233150854.jpg

Can I just wipe it off with salt/vinegar solution?

Thanks!

I tried the small piece. It is VERY salty. And I think it needs to equalize a bit. The center is much softer than the outside. Did I dry it to fast?
PXL_20230104_235138170.MP.jpg

I tried the small piece. It is VERY salty. And I think it needs to equalize a bit. The center is much softer than the outside. Did I dry it to fast?
View attachment 653466
No real dry ring on that so I think you are good. To dry it down more just brown bag it or wrap in non waxed butcher paper and into the fridge for a week or two. Pull it when you like it.

Reactions: Hockeydudde
Try to cut evenly thick slices and the biltong will dry more evenly. Other than that tip, lookin good...keep on drying. And like mentioned, just wipe with vinegar. Or, you can use potassium sorbate on the surface and it will inhibit mold growth.

You dont need an R/H meter for biltong.

Just air flow and draw with a 40w light bulb.

Reactions: indaswamp
Try to cut evenly thick slices and the biltong will dry more evenly. Other than that tip, lookin good...keep on drying. And like mentioned, just wipe with vinegar. Or, you can use potassium sorbate on the surface and it will inhibit mold growth.
Yeah, the jerky was the main project. The bitlong was an afterthought. If I try again, I'll cut the biltong sliced first. Jerky doesn't need to be square.
You dont need an R/H meter for biltong.

Just air flow and draw with a 40w light bulb.
Cool! I have it in my boiler room, wick ribs about 75 or 80, so no light bulb required.

I'll let it even out in the fridge and see how I like it in a week.

Honestly, first blush, not sure I'll try it again...

We ended up going out of town and I forgot to do anything with the biltong. Pulled the last 3 pieces today. Final weight losses are between 62 and 72%. I'll give it a week in the cellar and try it.

But, no new mold grew, so the vinegar rub worked.
Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky