Billbo's world famous dry rub & BBQ sauce recipe's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Both rub and sauce recipe looks amazing...I am going to make the sauce today for my first pork butt on superbowl sunday!

thanks for the help...guess I need to waste my time and try it and hope its okay for her.

I made the sauce this weekend. Absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing. Everyone at my superbowl party was raving about it. The one thing that I did different was used jalapenos from a jar rather than fresh (they were all out at Hannaford). You should bottle that stuff and sell it! I saw that people were worried about the "heat" level for their kids, it isn't to hot at all esp if you serve it over some pork butt on a roll.

Thank you Billbo! I made the sauce yesterday and it is a keeper for sure!
points.gif

1 can (28 oz.) tomato puree
1/3 cup yellow mustard
3 cups water
1 ½ cups cider vinegar
1/4 dark corn syrup
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons ground red pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder

BBQ SAUCE FOR RIBS

Wow thanks for these, they sounded so awesome, I just came back from the store with the missing ingredients! I made the rub (tweaked it a tiny bit) and ill be making the sauce tomorrow morning.

These should make my first smoking even more enjoyable.

Update on the sauce, its awesome. I added a little extra here and there to my liking, but not by much. Very very tasty, 1hr left till I add the smoke.

Quick question about the sauce: If I put the sauce in a mason jar and I have a vacuum sealer with a lid that seals mason jars, how long will that sauce stay good refrigerated?

I have had it keep for 3 months. A batch doesn't usually last that long so I have never really put it to the time test. I eat it too fast!

I tried the rub and it is good but too salty for my taste. Next time I will cut the salt by at least half and maybe add a little more sugar.
To me, that's the frustrating thing about rubs. Everyone is different and one good rub for one person may not be a good one for the next.

Will have to try this and the one on the front page as I have been trying to come up with a good sauce I can make myself but so far have come up with nothing but duds.

~Joe

I just finished makin this sauce and couldn't even let it completely cool before i had to find something to try it on. Thanks Bilbo this sauce will definitly be made again. Ohh yeah and my wife said she had to go to bed cause she couldn't stand smelling it simmer all night it was makin her hungry. She didn't want to eat so late.

Just did my first smoke ever, on my new Char Griller this weekend.  I found your rub and made it about a week ago and made your sauce the other night (all night) for my brisket.  Turned out AMAZING!!!  My wife LOVED it (and she's picky) so did her friend (also picky).  The ONLY criticism was to put the sauce through a food processor or something to make it completely smooth.  Just the perfect amount of sweet and tangy, with a tiny hint of heat.  HUGE thank you!  I will definitely be using this again in the future (hopefully many, many times).

Last edited:
I made a big batch of this BBQ sauce last spring and I have kept a mason jar of it vacuum sealed in my frig since then.  You think it's still good? I took it out, no mold or funky smell.

I made the sauce last weekend and it was great.  This weekend I put the whole batch through the blender to make it nice and smooth.  I don't know if it was "aging" in the fridge or blending it smooth but I think the sauce was even better this weekend.  I LOVE BBQ sauce and this might be my new favorite.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky