bigstsomp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigstomp

Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Im trying out my new gosm today and had a few questions. Im new to smoking and just smoked it in yesterday. Been reading through this site and looks like theres going to be some great information on here. Im smoking a brisket, ribs, boneless turkey breast, and some sausage today. Weather is good today in Dallas,Tx thanks for any help.

Chad

First of all .... welcome to SMF bigstomp!

Wow! ... that is pretty ambitious for a new smoker; I take it then that you are experienced with other smokers ...yes?

Lots of info available here ... if you can't find something, just ask away!
icon_wink.gif

there should be thin blue smoke. you will probably get different levels of smoke as the wood burns hot and cools down. But what you are looking for is the thin blue smoke. Some people wet the wood before burning it. To me this is a total waste of time and water. All it does is prolong the time before the smoke starts. It does not seem to prolng the smoking of that batch of wood becxause the water has to boil out of the wood before it starts to smoke. I'm sure that I'll get some disagreement on this.

Scott

I have used a freinds gosm 3 times prior to getting my own but no smoking experience other than that. Did alot of reading on the site yesterday to get some ideas of what to do. Hopefully all goes well, thanks for the responses.

chad

Welcome to the forum, Chad. Their are many friendly folks here that can help you with your particular smoker. Please continue to visit us and share your adventures, ask questions, and draw from the knowledge here.

Welcome Chad. Glad to have you, Sounds like you'll have some good food when you get done. Good luck on your first smoke, come back with questions if you have any. Have a lot of helpful folks here, who will help if needed. Run a stickburner myself.Don't forget the plateau on the brisket.

I agree with bluefrog on not soaking the wood. I think that started as a way because of grills ...foil packs will burn quite quickly on them.
The best way on a grill is to place a handful of dry on foil followed by a handful of wet and then another handful of dry. Seems to make it a bit more slow and steady. On a smoker dry chunks are best in my opinion.

Bigstomp, welcome to SMF, sounds like you're in both feet , right to the neck, smoke bug has you now !! good luck with your smoke, and remember we love to see pics of the finished product
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky