Big Things coming Sunday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lemans

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 29, 2013
Jackson New Jersey
26DB17BB-ECFF-458E-96BB-2EEBDD293231.jpeg
Here is a sneak peak of some of it!!!

The fact that you are using vacuum sealed bags for marinating is an awesome idea. I will have to try that. Thanks!

Sous Vide just sounds like a lot of time to me. Smoke it hard I say. You make the temp work out. The Sous Vide folks get it too I'm guessing...

83189DBB-A22E-4938-A2F3-185FBAC217C2.jpeg
Now the rest of the Q
8 lb Boston Butt and 5 lb Briskt Flat on my Vision with Cherry Wood on my Vision

F12A3193-DB58-4564-B493-0711324AB367.jpeg
So the bark is set the color is good time to wrap.. he is the best of both worlds
Aluminum foil bottom and butcher paper top.. a trick taught to me by Big Moe Cason..

So here is an update on the lamb shanks.. 24 hours to find out that I F...ed up! So I know the shanks would kinda float in the Sous vide so I did what I always do. Put a 6 oz lead sinker in a zip lock bag and put it in my vac back with all my ingredients. But normally I Sous vide for 2 hours at 132 degrees but this one was 167 for 24 hours.. just enough time and heat for the zip lock to melt and let the juices mingle with the lead! So not wanting to poison my family,into the trash it went! Hard lesson learned!!!

So here is an update on the lamb shanks.. 24 hours to find out that I F...ed up! So I know the shanks would kinda float in the Sous vide so I did what I always do. Put a 6 oz lead sinker in a zip lock bag and put it in my vac back with all my ingredients. But normally I Sous vide for 2 hours at 132 degrees but this one was 167 for 24 hours.. just enough time and heat for the zip lock to melt and let the juices mingle with the lead! So not wanting to poison my family,into the trash it went! Hard lesson learned!!!

Tough lesson on the lamb shanks...
Next time, try using a pot or a plate to weight the shanks down. You can even use a small grill grate to keep them from floating up. Hope this helps.

BTW, that brisket looks awesome!

Yup no matter how experience we are there are mistakes to be made and in the best interest of safety was to toss it.

brisket and PP looks great.

Warren

I've also seen holes punched in the corners of the bags on the seal tag ends which then had twine run through. each corner is then tied to the roasting pan grate (the one you put in the bottom of the roaster to keep the turkey off the bottom) which when inserted into water, the shank floats up off the bottom, but can't float to the top.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky