Big Green Egg vs Kamado Joe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

finsfree

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
I'm in the market for one of this style of smoker. Has anyone ever owned both? After watching some youtube videos and a google searching, it seems that the kamado has a slight edge only as far as simply addons.

It seems like they both produce great food.

Just curious if anyone has both?

Thanks,

Reactions: JLeonard
This is really a matter of preference. If I was going to pay top dollar for a new one I’d also check out the Primo oval ones. Very nice.

Reactions: outside andy
Sorry I haven't owned either - just wanted to give your thread a bump so more eyes will see it.

Chris

I'm not sure what the Black one in this pic is, but I think it's an old "River Grill".
These are my Son's Smokers, and He loves his Big Green Egg more than anything else he's used:

Bear

IMG_3676.jpg

I only own the KJ, but two of my coworkers own Eggs. For what it’s worth, when I describe all the accessories I can get for my Joe and the way I can arrange the racks I detect a hint of envy. My one coworker got his Egg for free, but said If he had to buy one he’d get a Joe. I’d be happy with either one. KJ just innovates more from what I can tell.
I'm in the market for one of this style of smoker. Has anyone ever owned both? After watching some youtube videos and a google searching, it seems that the kamado has a slight edge only as far as simply addons.

It seems like they both produce great food.

Just curious if anyone has both?

Thanks,

I love my kamado Joe. Well over 250 cooks on it and use it at least twice a week. Never cooked on a big green egg but the included accessories that came with the joe along with recent innovations swayed me in that direction and I’ve never regretted it.

This cook has an XL Big Green Egg, Large Kamado Joe, Large Primo, Weber Kettle and a Big Green Egg Mini Max.
All have similar abilities and some have more features than others. You are off to a good start by researching. Ultimately after owning all the above, I have realized its not necessarily the equipment but the cook that makes the difference.
Your results may vary.

Reactions: bgaviator
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky