Heat Deflector

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ron50

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2007
FL
I've been researching a new kamado style smoker. Probably either the BGE or the Kamado Joe. Among the many accessories I've seen the heat deflector and read many post and seen many you tube videos about how it is essential.
While I have never owned a kamado style smoker I did have a Weber Smokey Mountain and never used heat deflector not did I ever hear of anyone using one. If I am maintaining a temp of 225 degrees why would a deflector be necessary. Please educate me :)

Thank you,

Ron

Ron, the heat deflector protects the food from the direct flames. I do not know why this is not an issue with the Weber Smoky Mountain. The heat from the fire radiates up from the fire around the heat deflector primarily through the openings around the edges and from the deflector itself and makes the egg more like a conveggtor oven cooking the meat more evenly.

Ron, the heat deflector protects the food from the direct flames. I do not know why this is not an issue with the Weber Smoky Mountain. The heat from the fire radiates up from the fire around the heat deflector primarily through the openings around the edges and from the deflector itself and makes the egg more like a conveggtor oven cooking the meat more evenly.
The WSM has a water pan in-between the coals and the grates.

Chris

Even if no flames, red hot embers have enormous infrared heating. Deflector puts your food in the "shade"; otherwise uneven cooking

Reactions: ron50 and KimberlyO
Thanks Kimberly

ron50 ron50 If you are looking to buy a Kamado I highly suggest watching the youtube videos by James from Smoking Dad's BBQ. He has a lot of videos that high lights the limitations of Kamados as well as his work arounds. He also does comparisons of different type of smokers. For the Kamado Joe, James suggest using a double indirect method which requires the SloRoller and a heat defuser for best results.

Reactions: ron50
ron50 ron50 If you are looking to buy a Kamado I highly suggest watching the youtube videos by James from Smoking Dad's BBQ. He has a lot of videos that high lights the limitations of Kamados as well as his work arounds. He also does comparisons of different type of smokers. For the Kamado Joe, James suggest using a double indirect method which requires the SloRoller and a heat defuser for best results.
I could never bring myself to buy a slow roller, because I'm just not convinced it will do anything. If you're really trying to smoke something...really get that smoke flavor...the kamado really isn't the tool you should use. Don't get me wrong, I use mine every week, but its typically for faster cooking BBQ that you don't really smoke. (smaller cuts of beef, chicken and what not)

Reactions: dr k and ron50
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky