Big Batch Of Pickles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
They look awesome! I know I’d like those hot ones. Are they canned or frig pickles?

Thanks Jeff! They are just frig pickles I didn't can them or vac seal them. That's why they take so long to age. Al noted if you use the vac seal containers they are ready in 3 days but don't have those yet.

Reactions: jcam222
I'm doing this today. It's something I've been wanting to do for years but for whatever reason I haven't. Does anyone know if there are generic vacuum canisters that can be bought locally? I can't find the big ones like the one's Al has in his original thread. If I cannot find them I will just go with canning jars.

I'm doing this today. It's something I've been wanting to do for years but for whatever reason I haven't. Does anyone know if there are generic vacuum canisters that can be bought locally? I can't find the big ones like the one's Al has in his original thread. If I cannot find them I will just go with canning jars.

I'm not sure. You might check Wal-mart I think they sell a lot of vac sealing stuff. I think you can also buy the attachment to vac seal the canning jars which would also speed up the process.

Reactions: 73saint
I'm not sure. You might check Wal-mart I think they sell a lot of vac sealing stuff. I think you can also buy the attachment to vac seal the canning jars which would also speed up the process.
Ok one more ?...I couldn’t find the small pickling cukes so I bought the regular sized ones, but I picked about 4 lbs of big, firm and dark cucumbers. Will these work? I don’t want a mushy pickle!! Lol

Ok one more ?...I couldn’t find the small pickling cukes so I bought the regular sized ones, but I picked about 4 lbs of big, firm and dark cucumbers. Will these work? I don’t want a mushy pickle!! Lol

Yeah man that's actually what I used on these. Cut the ends off then cut the cukes in half and then quarter each half. Much cheaper this way too. I use alum in mine to keep them crisp. Let me know how they turn out!

Yeah man that's actually what I used on these. Cut the ends off then cut the cukes in half and then quarter each half. Much cheaper this way too. I use alum in mine to keep them crisp. Let me know how they turn out!
Awesome. I’ve got the alum also. Can’t wait, starting now.

AA97264F-FE50-4F01-ACA1-12E56656D5E9.jpeg
And now the wait begins. Why did I wait so long to make these!? Oh and I ordered a 3qt foodsaver vac canister so when that comes I’ll do a speed batch!

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
View attachment 433241
And now the wait begins. Why did I wait so long to make these!? Oh and I ordered a 3qt foodsaver vac canister so when that comes I’ll do a speed batch!

Hell yeah those look awesome! I kicked myself for waiting so long once I tasted one of these. Let me know how the vac ones come out might be worth the investment.

Another question, what's the difference between a mini cuke, a pickling cuke and a burpless cuke? I have found mini cukes but none that say pickling cuke. The minis are $5 for a small bag of 6. Seems high to me, but if they are better for pickling I will try them. My vac canister is being delivered today and I want to do a speed batch while my jars wait patiently in the fridge.

Another question, what's the difference between a mini cuke, a pickling cuke and a burpless cuke? I have found mini cukes but none that say pickling cuke. The minis are $5 for a small bag of 6. Seems high to me, but if they are better for pickling I will try them. My vac canister is being delivered today and I want to do a speed batch while my jars wait patiently in the fridge.

You know I am not totally sure. They sell pickling cukes around here 3 for $1 and I have seen the mini cukes but never bought them. Maybe chef jimmyj chef jimmyj might be able to chime in and give us a correct answer.

Kirby Cucumbers, Pickling Cucumbers, grow to a perfect portion size, have small seeds, are lower in moisture than the common Cucumber and stay Crisper. Mini-Pickling Cucumbers are similar and work well because they are a small Seed variety also. Burpless or Hot House English Cucumbers, while having small seeds, are somewhat high in moister and like Common Cucumbers, also high in moisture, can get Mushy when pickled by Fermentation. They are ok for 24 Hour Refer Pickles, Vinegar Brined, but are best rested a short time, a couple of days, and eaten quickly. ALUM can help them maintain crispness longer...JJ

F835869F-0847-426F-9BED-6D8D73ACC126.jpeg
Well, I could not find pickling cukes anywhere. Costco, restaurant depot, Winn Dixie, Rouses, none of them. I finally gave up and got 3lbs of regular cukes, just hand picked as firm as I could. Well see how it goes with the vac canister.

They will be tasty. The skin is thicker and tougher than Kirby Cucumbers but the flavor is there. Common Cucumbers hold more water in large plant cells. Over time, Salt and Vinegar breaks the cell walls and the Pickles soften quite a bit. Not real fast but they don't keep as long as Kirby Pickles. They sure look good!...JJ

They will be tasty. The skin is thicker and tougher than Kirby Cucumbers but the flavor is there. Common Cucumbers hold more water in large plant cells. Over time, Salt and Vinegar breaks the cell walls and the Pickles soften quite a bit. Not real fast but they don't keep as long as Kirby Pickles. They sure look good!...JJ
Thanks! And thanks for this info jimmy!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Pickles look awesome Saint let me know how they turn out in the vac canister. Thanks for the info Jimmy!
I am so impatient. I tasted one from the week old batch in mason jars. Still not pickled at all, but whoa, the garlic is HEAVY! I’m not one to say anything has too much garlic but those are waay strong. I hope that flavor settles down some. Yuck, I have an awful taste in my mouth right now (not-yet-ready garlic pickles and black coffee, I wonder why lol)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky