BGE XL or Kamodo Big Joe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

appalachian q

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 8, 2014
Virginia
Hey guys, I am looking to acquire either Big Green Egg XL that's is offered at $1100 including table legs and a placesetter and the Kamodo Joe Big Joe 2 with a possible Joe Jr. (13") grill included for $1499. What do y'all think between the 2 at these prices?

Last edited:
Any special reason only those models? Just thinking a WSM is a lot cheaper and easier to move around.

Wanted the insulated properties for winter cooks. Would have chosen a Akron but plan to leave it outside and don't want rust.

I live in Michigan and cook year round in my WSM and kettle all you really need is a wind break and I smoke in the corner of the garage,I have seen others use welding blankets to wrap there's. I would look into any issues with that type of unit cracking when used in cold weather if your weather gets very cold. I guess I would go with the egg and if you wanted another smoker/grill look for a used kettle on Craig's list and the like I have a 22 kettle I use mainly as a rotisserie.

I like the Kettles and am a Weber guy," and have looked into the Performer, but am very busy too. That being said I'm leaning toward Ceramic for set and forget properties. I will look into that cracking in the cold.

A WSM is set and forget once you break them in and get them figured out add a ATC and it's a outdoor oven. I was just suggesting the kettle as a secondary unit opposed to the big joe and 13" joe jr.

That's a good option. I have a Weber Jumbo joe that I will continue to use for small cooks or as a secondary heat setting. If I get the Jr. I may either sell it or use it when I compete for chicken or ribs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky