Best Way to install

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danbono

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 19, 2012
North New Jersey Paramus
Hi All I got 2 of these so I can attach the middle section of my WSM 22 to the bottom section.What is the best way to install? The bottom section is way down low? If I turn the WSM on it's side, how do I keep the 2 sections together?
Thanks Dan
t0ROEtym.jpg

6Po2neom.jpg

Take the lid off , guts out , turn it upside down on a table . Leave the middle and bottom together .Install the latch .

What is the purpose of latching the sections together?
Hi I installed a hinge for the top, and when I lift the lid back at times the center section comes away from the bottom.
The other day I had a BIG mess with the fire going and the sections getting away from each other, when lifting the lid.
Dan

Hi I installed a hinge for the top, and when I lift the lid back at times the center section comes away from the bottom.
Gotcha.I'm not familiar with the lid hinges,can you index the barrel so the hinge is inline with one of the 3 legs so it won't be so tippy when opened?

[QUOE="indaswamp, post: 1932356, member: 124663"]then use small bolts and nuts with lock washers....[/QUOTE]
Hi I'm going to use the screws that came with the latches. I'm going to turn the WSM upside down on the ground,should be eye level then.
THanks Dan

can you index the barrel so the hinge is inline with one of the 3 legs so it won't be so tippy when opened?
He has a good idea there . I guessing that when the lid was opened the body seperated , but would not hurt to clock the lid hinge so it is over one of the legs . Do that before you install the latch .

I'm going to turn the WSM upside down on the ground,should be eye level then.
Damn ,,, you're not very tall .

Reactions: gmc2003
Hi All These latches didn't work out too good. I think I need bigger/longer ones. I had to force one of them to stay latched. The other fell apart,due to way too much tension.
Dan

Last edited:
Hi All These latches didn't work out too good. I think I need bigger/longer ones. I had to force one of them to stay latched. The other fell apart,due to way too much tension.
Dan
Maybe you can extend the the old latch . Show a picture of it put together .

W/out a back plate I wonder if that will dent your WSM.

Chris

Hi All I made some adjustments to the hasps I put on, seem to be holding tight..I'm hoping it stays that way.:emoji_astonished:
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
I would suggest just using machine screws to bolt the latches on (most times there isn't enough room where the holes are to pop rivet that style of latch onto something. As for a toggle clamp, that is meant to hold something down. What you bought (draw latches) are exactly what you want if clamping the two sections of your smoker together is what your after.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky