Best Soup & Sandwich Meal Ever!! (Long W/ Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Boy...this one is gonna take a while. This is really two different meals so I guess I'll start with the soup. Read a post yesterday by Ryan ( Brokenhandle Brokenhandle ) where he showcased his bacon, potato, and leek soup. I read through that twice and instantly decided I just had to make that. Tracy was headed into town so I asked her to pick up the leeks. Never eaten them and never cooked with them before so this was gonna be something new. Of course I had to mix his recipe up a little bit but it's pretty much as he posted it. I'll note the variations as I go.

Got the taters in the Dutch oven. He used chicken stock but I had to use veggie stock. He used 48 oz, I used 32 oz of stock and 2 Russet baking potatoes
001.jpg

I'm getting low on homemade bacon so grabbed a 1 1/2 pound package from our little grocery store (Ryan used 1 pound)
003.jpg

While the taters are boiling I cut up the bacon and get it into a skillet. Pic is kinda blurry
004.jpg

Leeks ready to cut up. Sorry, had to show off that new knife
005.jpg

Quartered, sliced, and rinsed
006.jpg

Taters softened. Ryan...you may wanna think about this: take about half the taters, put them in a bowl with some of the broth, and puree them with an immersion blender. A regular blender will work also. This makes a much thicker, richer, creamier broth for the base.
007.jpg

008.jpg

Add pureed taters back into the stock
009.jpg

Bacon all done and drained
010.jpg

Discard most of the bacon grease but save a little to saute the leeks
011.jpg

Add bacon to the stock
012.jpg

Add leeks
013.jpg

Spices (spice list to follow)
014.jpg

That about takes care of the soup. Now to the sandwich. Got out a couple big links of homemade sweet Italian sausage
015.jpg

Slice sausages lengthwise
016.jpg

This is what made the sandwich so special. I received these from our good friend chef jimmyj chef jimmyj in a Christmas exchange.
017.jpg

Got some hand made hoagie rolls that Tracy picked up
018.jpg

Split the rolls (and show off another one of my new knives)
019.jpg

Sausages on the Rec Tec
020.jpg

Soup thick enough to stand up the spoon. I actually thinned it down a bit with some more veggie broth
021.jpg

Sausages done. OOPS!! We have a disparity in the meat-to-bread ratio. Need to make an adjustment (and these are big sausages!!)
022.jpg

Adjustment made
023.jpg

Add some of the hoagie sauce received from Jimmy
025.jpg

Candied jalapenos next
026.jpg

3 layers of provolone
027.jpg

On to the grill
029.jpg

Sammies done
030.jpg

Ladle a bowl of soup and top with grated cheddar, slice the sammie, and we are finally ready to eat.
032.jpg

Alright, when I said this was the best soup and sandwich meal I've ever had, I'm not kidding. The soup was to die for!! As many soups as I've put together, this one went right to the top of the favorites list for Tracy and I. It was incredible!! The sandwich topped even the best I've ever had at any Italian restaurant, and I've eaten at some of the best. Between the homemade sausage and the goodies that were shared by Jimmy, it was outstanding. There was a nice little spice tingle from the toppings that was just insanely good and beautifully balanced by the soup. I've noted the differences in what I made versus what Ryan posted. Here are the rest of them insofar as the spices go. He mentioned using only paprika and black pepper, but didn't note how much. I tasted it with just those and felt it needed a bit more. I measured everything out and here's what I used:

1 1/2 t paprika (I used smoked Spanish)
1 1/2 t black pepper
1 t garlic
1/2 t coriander
1/4 t cayenne
1/2 cup heavy cream

I know there are folks out there who love a good pot of soup, several of those people I've shared recipes back and forth with. If ever you want to make one that's a chart-topper, this is it. I just got an email from Tracy saying she wants the soup again for dinner this evening with some garlic cheesy bread. That takes the guess work out of dinner for me :emoji_wink: Now here's something that hit home as we were eating this meal. All the major components for this came from or were inspired by people in this forum. I learned to make sausage from folks here. The soup was inspired by Ryan. The sandwich toppings came from Jimmy. Then another reality hit home. The best food I've ever eaten in my life didn't come from a 5-star restaurant, it came from right here in SMF. That's a Hell of a tribute to how great this forum really is!! I know I'll continue to learn, continue to get better, and only hope to continue sharing stuff that may inspire others.

I'm done not....finally...at last....
Robert

Delicious looking meal Robert! Very nicely done. I’m going to show the wife this and see if she wants another soup. We’re on soup 3 weeks now, so a little break may be in order. Our chicken noodle soup last week had leeks in it.

Good call on the hoagie spread. I like to use that for a quick meatball hoagie.

Like!

Reactions: Sowsage
Looks great. Glad you liked the Sandwich Fixins. Pretty popular stuff around here. I've not tried it with Italian Sausage. Got to send Bev shopping...JJ

Damn good looking meal there Robert! I have never cooked with leeks but that might just be in order. The sandwich looks outstanding too. Did you grill them on a pizza stone?

That sure looks good! I may have to give that soup a try. I also have never had leeks. I bet those peppers are awesome on that sandwich. I love candied jalapenos!

Leeks are really good in recipes. Just make sure you rinse them well. Or you may get a gritty surprise.

This and you only eat the White and Light Green portion. The rest is very tough but can be used to flavor Stocks and Broth, then discarded...JJ

Wow Robert you're meal looks amazing! And thank you for all your kind words. I'm glad you made it your own, that's what it's all about. Have to show your spice ingredients to my wife and see what she thinks. I liked the blending of the taters, might even have done that in the past to thicken it up, can't remember for sure. In fact have an immersion blender because of this site...who could imagine. Some nice breadwork you did on those sandwiches, looks like you're putting your new knives to work.

Good job as always, big like!
Ryan

Delicious looking meal Robert! Very nicely done. I’m going to show the wife this and see if she wants another soup. We’re on soup 3 weeks now, so a little break may be in order. Our chicken noodle soup last week had leeks in it.

Good call on the hoagie spread. I like to use that for a quick meatball hoagie.

Like!

Thanks so much Joe. I know what you mean about being souped out. Had that issue a week or two ago but this was just too good not to make...and I'm glad I did. It was outstanding!! The hoagie sauce was a no-brainer. I have some of my own marinara sauce and was gonna use that but decided to to the Chef Jimmy route, and am glad I did!! Gawd that was good!!

Robert

Looks great. Glad you liked the Sandwich Fixins. Pretty popular stuff around here. I've not tried it with Italian Sausage. Got to send Bev shopping...JJ

Jimmy...that stiff was fantastic!! Even Tracy rolled her eyes as if in an orgasmic coma. We enjoyed this VERY much and cannot thank you enough for sharing.

OH BEV!! Time for a road trip :emoji_astonished: Or I could just pack some of mine up in ice blocks and send it to you.

Robert

Hell of a nice meal Robert! Need to do that soup.

Thanks so much Steve!! Appreciate it. The soup was beyond words and I highly recommend giving it a try.

Damn good looking meal there Robert! I have never cooked with leeks but that might just be in order. The sandwich looks outstanding too. Did you grill them on a pizza stone?

Appreciate it John. I cooked the sausages on the Rec Tec, built the sandwiches while the sausages were still hot, then finished them on a pizza stone on the grill.

That sure looks good! I may have to give that soup a try. I also have never had leeks. I bet those peppers are awesome on that sandwich. I love candied jalapenos!

Very much appreciate it. We love the candied jalapenos also. Having some friends over this weekend for a brisket cook. I think I might chop up a bunch of those and put them over a brie with some crackers n the side and serve as an appetizer. Yum!!

Thinking ahead,
Robert

Leeks are really good in recipes. Just make sure you rinse them well. Or you may get a gritty surprise.

Yep...Ryan made mention this in his thread. I saw nothing at all that looked like it wasn't supposed to be there but rinsed them really well anyway.

Robert

Last edited:
A great tribute to the Forum and its spot on.

This place has been fantastic. I've learned so much here...but I'm not the only one who's learned a lot from the good folks in this forum.

Not done learning yet,
Robert

This and you only eat the White and Light Green portion.

I guess I screwed up and did something right. When I looked at them they looked like over sized green onions, so I treated them the same way....exactly as you stated.

Leave it to our good friend and resident executive chef to dial in the finite details. Thanks Jimmy!! I really liked the leeks, although never having used them before, but I will be using them regularly now.

Leeks in my future....
Robert

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Wow Robert you're meal looks amazing! And thank you for all your kind words. I'm glad you made it your own, that's what it's all about. Have to show your spice ingredients to my wife and see what she thinks. I liked the blending of the taters, might even have done that in the past to thicken it up, can't remember for sure. In fact have an immersion blender because of this site...who could imagine. Some nice breadwork you did on those sandwiches, looks like you're putting your new knives to work.

Good job as always, big like!
Ryan

Thank you and thank you and thank you Ryan...for a whole lot of stuff. The soup, the kind words, and everything else related to this. It was a fantastic meal. If ever I was to attach a 4-star rating to a soup and sandwich meal, this would be it. Although I'd never find anything this good in a restaurant, if I did, I'd order it in a heartbeat. So good!!

Robert

I think I might chop up a bunch of those and put them over a brie with some crackers
That sounds real good! One of my favorite things to do with them is chop up fine to turn it into a relish and use it in place of pickle relish for deviled eggs. Cold smoke the peeled boiled eggs for a few hours first. Then a nice bbq rub to garnish instead of the normal paprika.

That sounds real good! One of my favorite things to do with them is chop up fine to turn it into a relish and use it in place of pickle relish for deviled eggs. Cold smoke the peeled boiled eggs for a few hours first. Then a nice bbq rub to garnish instead of the normal paprika.

Oh God...I wish you hadn't started this :emoji_laughing: There will only be 6 of us this Saturday and now you have me wanting to make food for a couple hundred people. Stop it now please!! Another thought I had was to use some of the bacon jam that was derived from Steve ( Steve H Steve H ) and put that over a brie with crackers on the side. I can't help but think that wold be an amazing appetizer!!

Cutting the brie in half,
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky