Best smoker? And wood to use?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CobbWjr

Original poster
Feb 26, 2020
I just got a Oklahoma joe longhorn! Want to try something good to cook and some recipes! And want kind of wood? Want do y’all do?

Attachments

• 965DC583-5D43-48B5-B42F-9682D6605F4C.jpeg
    965DC583-5D43-48B5-B42F-9682D6605F4C.jpeg
    275.3 KB · Views: 32
It depends on what you plan on smoking.
My go to for everything lately is a blend of hickory, cherry, and pecan.
Of course, you could use any one of those woods individually with outstanding results.

I use oak and hickory,

Attachments

• 20190101_124408.jpg
    20190101_124408.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20190101_124358.jpg
    20190101_124358.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 19
I like hickory, got a bag of pecan I haven't tried out yet, oak has worked great in the past. Nice looking rig you have there Cobb, and welcome to SMF. RAY

Reactions: CobbWjr
Iv been looking for split logs but all I have been able to find is the bags of chunks. But I tried apple and going to try hickory sat

Iv been looking for split logs but all I have been able to find is the bags of chunks. But I tried apple and going to try hickory sat

I don't know where you live but here in the desert hardwood isn't easy to come by. I order three bags of hickory splits from Cabelas for about $85 and get free shipping. It burns good and arrives at my doorstep. RAY

Reactions: CobbWjr
I don't know where you live but here in the desert hardwood isn't easy to come by. I order three bags of hickory splits from Cabelas for about $85 and get free shipping. It burns good and arrives at my doorstep. RAY

Thanks

Try Craigslist for some seasoned wood.
Myself I like using cherry...it's my go to wood.
Oak is my next favorite.

Great looking smoker. I use chunks also, as the only wood we have local is fruit wood. I really like using hickory, it's my go to. I like doing a pork butt for my break-in cook. Does a good job of seasoning up your cooker i.m.o.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky