Best service to efile taxes?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL
I've always mailed in our taxes, but as I'm STILL waiting for our 2021 federal refund, I guess it's time to start e-filing.

Can someone suggest a service? Only basic w2 income from hubs and my SS, no investments/IRAs or anything like that, and I have to file in two states (hubs worked in GA but we live in AL).

Thanks!

My wife uses turbo tax, there is a cost to us but I don't know what it is. She like it and says it's easy to use. We have to pay for it because I have 1099's.

Last couple years we have to use a cpa as wife's business has grown. But before that we just e-filed on TurboTax. It's easy and pretty fool proof for an easy return

I've been using TurboTax for a long time and like it. It walks you through and E-filing your Federal is free, but there's a small charge for State E-filing. I used to mail the State forms but last year I paid (I think it was $17) for the E-filing. I just can't trust the post office anymore. I've had too many things disappear into USPS la la land....

Thanks everyone!

We didn't get our 2020 refund until December of 2021, so I was GOING to e-file last year, but wimped out at the last minute.

It's ridiculous that it's taking as long as it is for them to process paper returns, ESPECIALLY now that "most" people e-file resulting in LESS paper returns for them to deal with.

Our 2021 return was apparently "flagged"...I received a letter from the IRS in October saying they needed "confirmation" of my husband's death in May 2022. I filled out the form, enclosed a copy of the death certificate, and sent it back to them, but it still shows as "being processed".

I mean, I'm OK financially and can certainly wait, but as I'm NOT a fan of "unfinished business" AND I don't trust the jackholes in charge of this slow-rolling TRAIN WRECK of a government...it's frustrating!

Reactions: SmokyMose
Also if you don't have a complicated return you can just use the free turbo tax. I think you still have to pay for the state portion but I'm not sure as we don't have a state income tax

Thanks everyone!

We didn't get our 2020 refund until December of 2021, so I was GOING to e-file last year, but wimped out at the last minute.

It's ridiculous that it's taking as long as it is for them to process paper returns, ESPECIALLY now that "most" people e-file resulting in LESS paper returns for them to deal with.

Our 2021 return was apparently "flagged"...I received a letter from the IRS in October saying they needed "confirmation" of my husband's death in May 2022. I filled out the form, enclosed a copy of the death certificate, and sent it back to them, but it still shows as "being processed".

I mean, I'm OK financially and can certainly wait, but as I'm NOT a fan of "unfinished business" AND I don't trust the jackholes in charge of this slow-rolling TRAIN WRECK of a government...it's frustrating!
My son's return got flagged in 2020 took a year for him to get the refund.

Now that he is fully "independent" and lives in NH with no state tax to file it will be Turbo tax for sure.

My wife and I still use a CPA, Like Jake and Emily we have multiple W2, business and investment income...way over my head.

I don't use any of the E-File vendors as I have multiple unrelated sources of income and I rely on my tax accountants and tax attorney to handle it.

That said, for those with simpler needs, I highly recommend Turbo Tax. A few years ago I guided my daughter through their system and was very impressed with how thorough, though simple and efficient it was. For 2021 taxes she ran into some issues because she had W-2 income, 1099 income, unemployment income, and an inheritance that involved stock sales. She chose to use their "Assisted" service and they walked her through everything. If I recall correctly, the total cost for that year including filing the state return was around $150, which I considered a bargain.

Thanks everyone!

I've used Turbo Tax online for well over a decade now it seems.

Back in the day it was 100% free for me because TX has no state tax and I only had a W2 document and random low value 1099xyz forms (xyz being whatever letter the form had). Federal tax filing is free with Turbo Tax if it's super simple.... just don't bite on upgrades and extra services unless they declare you absolutely must pay for a feature to continue.

These days I don't think I pay more than $70 but that's only because of things like property ownership, stocks/investment accounts, etc.

The one thing you will need no matter what is last years Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) which you would have on last years tax return. If you have that value then you SHOULD have zero issues using Turbo Tax.

Another nice thing is that once you start with Turbo Tax, they just import your previous years information and makes filing again super fast and easy. You only change things that need values changed and add stuff if you didn't have it from last year.

Finally, I use Turbo Tax business for my small business and it's even easier to use. The one issue I don't like with it is that they prevent you from completing until like the last week or so of Jan because of "form updates" that are pending from the government... not sure if this is true or not but it's annoying to be ready to be done with and have to wait until the end of the month for them to allow you to make final changes/approvals and submit.

If you have any questions let me know. Been using both softwares forever now and have no "real" complaints :)

Another vote for Turbo Tax. I pay to have it do state and local too. Probably a little pricier than some options but I value simplicity of use.

Reactions: tallbm
I been using Tax Act for years
Same here. Quick and easy. And after you enter your step-by-step info the first year, it remembers everything, so the next year is even quicker; just fill in the numbers. Also, it's pretty cheap if you're only filing the 1040A. Something like $14.95 to have them e-file it for you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky