FINALLY...10 months after filing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL
Screenshot 2023-02-13 095522.jpg

Filed paper return April 2022, got letter in Oct requesting more info on my husband's death in May...

I'm fortunate that I wasn't in immediate need of the money, but I have to wonder just how many other folks that filed a paper return "are" in dire need of their refund but are still waiting.

What gets me about this is before "e-filing", EVERYONE filed a paper return and most received their refund in less than 90 days, but now it takes months?

So this year, I'll e-file. Unless I go back to work, I won't have to worry about refunds/payments for 2023/beyond, so I'll go back to paper next year.

Our system is officially FUBAR!

View attachment 657673

Filed paper return April 2022, got letter in Oct requesting more info on my husband's death in May...

I'm fortunate that I wasn't in immediate need of the money, but I have to wonder just how many other folks that filed a paper return "are" in dire need of their refund but are still waiting.

What gets me about this is before "e-filing", EVERYONE filed a paper return and most received their refund in less than 90 days, but now it takes months?

So this year, I'll e-file. Unless I go back to work, I won't have to worry about refunds/payments for 2023/beyond, so I'll go back to paper next year.

Our system is officially FUBAR!
Glad it is finally done!

I'm still waiting on docs to e-file at the moment.
I would file this crap Jan 1 every year if I had the documents but NOOOOoooo. I gotta wait forever for docs. If I want to submit every doc I have to wait until mid or late march but the extra $14-$15 of credit I may get from filing those docs is not worth it to me.
If they want to audit me and give me that extra $14-15 they can feel free to do so hahaha :D

If you need a recommendation on E-File I highly recommend FreeTaxUSA. It includes most of the bells and whistles of fully featured Turbotax and HR Block online tools but is truly free for your federal return (unlike the BS "free" version of the other two). You can go to a premium level with FreeTaxUSA that includes audit protection and other services for like $6.

I'll be filing with them again this year for the fourth year in a row.

Reactions: SherryT
If you need a recommendation on E-File I highly recommend FreeTaxUSA. It includes most of the bells and whistles of fully featured Turbotax and HR Block online tools but is truly free for your federal return (unlike the BS "free" version of the other two). You can go to a premium level with FreeTaxUSA that includes audit protection and other services for like $6.

I'll be filing with them again this year for the fourth year in a row.
Thanks for the info...I'll check them out!

I'm an e-file all the way, been doing for many years, I will finish this years taxes up by the end of the week and usually have the refund in the bank (always use direct deposit as well) by the 1st week of March..... I'm slow this year though.... Normally I'm done by the first week of February.... but I can get everything digitally before paper version shows up.....

Glad it is finally done!

I'm still waiting on docs to e-file at the moment.
I would file this crap Jan 1 every year if I had the documents but NOOOOoooo. I gotta wait forever for docs. If I want to submit every doc I have to wait until mid or late march but the extra $14-$15 of credit I may get from filing those docs is not worth it to me.
If they want to audit me and give me that extra $14-15 they can feel free to do so hahaha :D
LOL...damn skippy!

I'm gonna ask a couple of "filing protocol" questions as just about every way I can think of to search for the answer online results in different, even conflicting answers, EVEN from the IRS website...

Keeping in mind that my husband passed last May and we always filed jointly...

1) I've always listed hubs as the primary when filing...do I do the same this year or list my name as the primary? Does it matter?

2) On his signature line, I "think" I'm supposed to print his name and add "deceased" after, but I've also read that I'm supposed to write his name and "deceased" across the top of the form (found BOTH those answers on IRS.gov, BTW)...does anyone know? HOWEVER, as I'll be e-filing...???

I know this is NOT a tax advice forum, but if anyone has had to deal with this, I'd appreciate some guidance.

I'm gonna ask a couple of "filing protocol" questions as just about every way I can think of to search for the answer online results in different, even conflicting answers, EVEN from the IRS website...

1) I've always listed hubs as the primary when filing...do I do the same this year or list my name as the primary? Does it matter?

2) On his signature line, I "think" I'm supposed to print his name and add "deceased" after, but I've also read that I'm supposed to write his name and "deceased" across the top of the form (found BOTH those answers on IRS.gov, BTW)...does anyone know? HOWEVER, as I'll be e-filing...???

I know this is NOT a tax advice forum, but if anyone has had to deal with this, I'd appreciate some guidance.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband passing.

As for filing I think TNJAKE TNJAKE has the right info.

Not having gone through this situation, I THINK turbo tax askes about life events like this and once you indicate what has happened they will walk you through the steps to get all the information so they can file it properly. Benefits of this software stuff being so thorough :)

Let us know if this is the case when you go through filing with your software this year :)

Reactions: TNJAKE
I'm sorry to hear about your husband passing.

As for filing I think TNJAKE TNJAKE has the right info.

Not having gone through this situation, I THINK turbo tax askes about life events like this and once you indicate what has happened they will walk you through the steps to get all the information so they can file it properly. Benefits of this software stuff being so thorough :)

Let us know if this is the case when you go through filing with your software this year :)

Thank you...it's been a rough few months, but I'm slowly finding my new "normal". This will be his last piece of "official business", so to speak, and I just want to get it behind me as easily as possible.

Reactions: tallbm
Thank you...it's been a rough few months, but I'm slowly finding my new "normal". This will be his last piece of "official business", so to speak, and I just want to get it behind me as easily as possible.
I hope you find peace Sherry.
I went to my brother's "Celebration" last August. His wife was dealing with it thanks to their children helping with some major decisions.
Time heals

Keep stacking the wins and you will get this bit of business behind you and hopefully be on the easy fast track to do it again going forward.

Reactions: SherryT
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky