best portable propane grill??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stiffyman

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
NM
Hi all, I am looking for a good small table top type protable propoane grill, so far the Weber Q is peaking my interest.  any suggestions or comments please?

I haven't used these, but the weber Q series look like some high quality rigs. The Q100 series is 189 sq in & 8,500 btu..about the right size for 2 people for an entire meal. The Q200 is 280 sq in & 12,000 btu...(a touch bigger than a weber 18.5" kettle @ 240 sq in)...it would handle 3 persons for and entire meal, possibly 4. I've grilled chops/chicken for 6-8 on my 18.5 kettle, no prob. When I say entire meal, I'm refering to skewered taters/veggies and 3/4lb of meat per person...fyi.

I wouldn't recommend the "go anywhere" grill...it's just a thin sheet-metal box style grill and lid, designed to be light-weight, and that includes the cooking grate.

Other brands I've seen don't compare to the weber Q series at all. You will pay for the quality of the weber, but if money's not an issue, the choice is easy...I'd not hesitate to go with the weber.

Eic

I just bought the Q120 for my motorhome and so far am loving it

Watch craigslist.  You can often find Weber Q models at a very good price and there is not much to break or replace on those.  Usually a good cleaning is all that is needed.  I scarfed up a 2009 model Q100 model for $50 a few months back.  After a good wipe down with simple green to get the grease off it, it was like new.  Picked up the folding cart at Home Depot for $39 on sale too.

They used to make a zip up bag for the smaller Q's but it looks like they no longer make it.  I snagged a cover, but the bag would have been perfect for transporting in the back of the van or a car to make sure no errant grease gets on the carpet.

Last edited:
Haven't tried any other one but love my Weber Q which I also got off of craigslist for $70 with stand and cover in great condition!

5th or 6th year with my Napoleon infrared grill. It's far from a slow cooker. It's a sear burner. Combine with a cast iron pan and you fix most anything while camping. The grill has survived many trips onto the ice fishing, towed in a sled behind a snowmobile. I cringed when I wrote the check for it but have been very pleased with my purchase.

I have the Weber Q 10 for use at my apartment. Looking for a 200 now for when friends are over. Love the Weber Q!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Weber Q is a little low on heat compared to other table top grills. I would recommend the Magma Chefsmate. You can find its review there. But if you have already decided with the Weber Q, this might help you decide which of the Q series is better.

Better yet, browse through The Best Gas Grills Guide, you could also find other good tabletop or portable gas grills there. Hope that helps! :)

I've owned the weber q for 3 years now and all i've ever had to replace is the propane hose.  The connector got brittle and cracked and better safe than sorry.  I highly recommend it for tailgating or quick grills such as a few burgers or steaks.  Easy to clean and very durable.  Uses the small propane cylinders as well. 

Get one with a proper stand, that is sturdy and tall. You do not want to kneel down all the time you tend your cook.

I've had a Q with optional stand pretty much since they came out.

P7250078.JPG

The first generation stand does the job. But has much to be desired with setting it up. It would pinch the heck out of your hand if you weren't paying attention. It looks like the newer stands are different. And hopefully better. This Q has seen numerous states while on vacations. And fits the bill for table top use. Just wanted to point out the stand in case you run into one.

When it comes to best portable grill I always suggest blackstoke flat top grill

Not trying to split hairs....well, maybe I am. But I'm having a problem with putting the Q, or a grill, in the same category as the blackstone. To me the blackstone is a griddle as opposed to the Q being a actual grill. Not knocking the Blackstone. I have one and really like it.

Reactions: TunaciousBBQ28
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky