1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Best Offset smoke <$1000.00 ???

Discussion in 'Wood Smokers' started by windycitygator, May 16, 2018.

1. I'm looking to upgrade my Char-Griller for a bigger offset barrel smoker 24"x36" or 24"x42" but I can't afford what I want the Yoder Durango. Any suggestions of a quality smoker for under $1000.00, that's not a piece of crap? Thanks

2. phatbac

phatbac Master of the Pit

You might find a small shop fabricator that could build you one for about that. You also might look through craigslist and eBay and such for a used offset. if you are looking for an offset for under a grand that is thicker metal than the average big box store offset you will be hard pressed to find one. Good luck finding one you want.

Happy Smoking,
    phatbac (Aaron)

3. phatbac

phatbac Master of the Pit

I take that back i found one under a grand but its not as big as the one you want. Brand new Horizon 16" at bass pro shops for $949

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/Horizon-Smoke-16-Classic-Backyard-Smoker

you will probably need to order a plate for the cook chamber to even out the temps but you can order that from horizon directly.
    Hope this helps,
    phatbac (Aaron)

4. 73saint

73saint Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Old Country smokers are very nice for the price. There is one here locally, on Craigslist, for $200 that I really want to buy. I just have no need for another off set smoker.

5. I was thinking about that. Thanks for validating that idea.

6. There is a Lang Patio for sale on the Huntsville, AL craigslist for $900. It just showed up today.

7. jbellard

jbellard Smoking Fanatic

E64402B5-51B5-4D0F-A46F-0C4D81E217F9.jpeg 60603FBA-E71F-44C9-831E-48167FCF84BB.jpeg E64402B5-51B5-4D0F-A46F-0C4D81E217F9.jpeg Gator,

I had one made for me. Granted I got the pipe and wheels and axles given to me but the remainder cost about $700.
    The local high school welding class worked on it for me. I told them what I wanted (after getting great info and measurements from here) and they did it for free. I did bring them some pulled pork of course and it took a year from start to finish but I have a great smoker that is way bigger than anything you will be able to get for under $1000.
    Just don’t undersell yourself and any friends that might be willing and able to build you one.

noboundaries and bl0wingsm0ke like this.
  8. That's a great idea, we have a high school around here that just might be interested in something like that.

9. jbellard

jbellard Smoking Fanatic

Come up with a plan and then You should just ask them. You never know.