best of both worlds? Char Siu and pork belly burnt ends /GASP

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Another hit by Susie.. I know you all love your burnt ends and char siu so BAM!!!!

INGREDIENTS​

• ▢4 pounds skinless pork belly

CHAR SIU PORK BELLY MARINADE​

• ▢1 ½ Tablespoons Chinese 5 spice seasoning
  • ▢½ cup low sodium soy sauce
  • ▢½ cup brown sugar
  • ▢¼ cup honey
  • ▢1 teaspoon red food coloring (optional)
  • ▢4 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
  • ▢1 Tablespoon sesame oil
  • ▢2 Tablespoons red miso paste

RUB​

• ▢1 Tablespoon Chinese 5 spice seasoning
  • ▢1 Tablespoon Sweet Rub

INSTRUCTIONS​

• Freeze and slice. Freeze the pork for 30 minutes then slice it into 2-inch cubes.
  • Marinate. In a large non-reactive (plastic or glass) bowl, stir together all of the marinade ingredients until smooth. Add the pork belly cubes to the marinade and thoroughly coat the pork. Cover the bowl, refrigerate, and allow the pork belly to marinate for 12 to 24 hours.
  • Prep and season. Remove the pork belly from the marinade (set the marinade aside) and arrange it on a flat roasting rack so the pork belly pieces are spaced evenly. Combine the Sweet Rub and 5 spice seasonings and sprinkle on all sides of the pork belly.
  • Preheat. Preheat smoker to 275 degrees F. My favorite wood for this recipe is cherry.
  • Smoke. Place the rack of pork belly on the grill grates, close the lid, and smoke until it is the texture of peanut butter when probed. It should be between 195-203 degrees internal temperature when done.
  • Make the glaze. While the pork belly burnt ends smoke, make the glaze. Pour the reserved marinade into a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the marinade is the consistency of thick syrup.
  • Glaze. Baste each pork belly burnt end with the glaze and continue smoking for another 30 minutes, until the glaze is tacky and set.
  • Serve. Remove the smoked pork belly burnt ends from the smoker and serve.

Reactions: jcam222
Funny enough I almost worked on a pork belly sugar free char Siu today. Ended up going in the direction of Indian food instead.

Reactions: negolien
I have seen a lot of char siu posts recently so I'm gonna have to give this a shot. I've barely dipped my toe in asian cooking, this seems like an easy (and tasty) start. And forgive my ignorance - who is Suzie?

Reactions: negolien
Yeah I usually use mass produced char siu but I might get the individual ingredients and make my own. Like 30 bucks for ingredients though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky