Best Meat Slicer for Bacon and/or Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi! Congratulations on your slicer. That bacon looks great! I was thinking about buying the 10" Avanti Slicer for bacon slicing, but I am deterred by the maximum product width.  Can you tell me how you were able to get the 12" slices from the 8" product tray? Did you have to modify it?

Hi! Congratulations on your slicer. That bacon looks great! I was thinking about buying the 10" Avanti Slicer for bacon slicing, but I am deterred by the maximum product width.  Can you tell me how you were able to get the 12" slices from the 8" product tray? Did you have to modify it?
Fold the bacon over, and freeze slightly.

Reactions: woodcutter

Or you can do like I do, and make shorter slices:

#1 The Belly is easier to cure & smoke if you cut it into thirds.

#2 Long pieces in a frying pan get done in the middle before the ends.

#3 Long pieces don't fit in a BLT anyway, without cutting them or folding them.

#4 Shorter pieces are easier to slice, and package.

Just a FYI,

Bear

Thanks. The way I got the longer slices was to use a little bit of trigonometry. I take the longest side of the bacon against the cutting side. (Hypotenuse). Then I tilt the bacon upwards at about 45 degrees to the plane. kinda like this: /  <- representing the bacon. Then I simply guide the slice down thru the cutting area and then slide using the slider. So the sequence looks like this: Tilt bacon to about 45 deg. Bring bacon down thru the cutting area until flat with blade engaged. Then slide accross blade using slider and guide. You can get the full width of your bacon doing this. 

Please remember if you're gonna do this to pay close attention and be very very careful as the bacon gets smaller with each slice. The point where you can just slide the bacon will become obvious to you and just slide like you would baloney or cheese or whatever. 

The 10" Avantco Slicer is a great machine. Its heavy, but it's solidly built. Easy to clean too as it breaks down to  parts using screw fasteners and that includes the housing. 

Hope that helps!

Tried to find a previous thread on this and I couldn't sooo, here goes. I'm looking for a home use slicer that works pretty good for Bacon and/or Brisket. It needs to be easy to clean and have a reasonably wide tray. The slicer I have now limits my slices to 5in lengths which makes for a pitifully small slice of bacon. Do you folks have any preference on meat slicers? blade sizes? brands maybe? I'm willing to invest some money in this but not break the bank so the upper limit would be roughly $500. Hopefully, I can come in under that price as I have found several 10" blade slicers for under $400.

Any input and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Smoke On!!! 
Having been the proud owner of a cheap slicer will say it might work for uniform chunks of bacon and baloney but aint worth a caca for brisket.  Not that anybody ever happened to look at how the grain runs on a flat but at least three times last I looked. The point is sorta similar but usually only swings two ways. So it takes a real smart compooterized slicer to know how to do the change up..meaning it aint possible. I have nearly got strangled to death on some Reubens in the fancy deli's who owned dumb slicers and did not realize that factoid. I would pick a gray headed Jewish Guy with a sharp knife to make me a sandwich any old day. They can also circumcise folks who need it. lol.

I recently purchased an Advantco  10" slicer, first one didn't work sent it back for a new one that seems to work fine. I have a couple question about cleaning it.

#1. Does anybody have the cleaning kit (if so) can you clean the blade without removing it?

#2. If the blade needs to be removed how do you hold/lock the blade to undo the screws?

Thanks

I recently purchased an Advantco  10" slicer, first one didn't work sent it back for a new one that seems to work fine. I have a couple question about cleaning it.

#1. Does anybody have the cleaning kit (if so) can you clean the blade without removing it?

#2. If the blade needs to be removed how do you hold/lock the blade to undo the screws?

Thanks
I recently purchased the Advantco 10" unit as well. The the cleaning kit seemed kinda' pricey for what it was. I ordered the QuickSan, lubricating spray from them but ordered a pair of cut resistant gloves from Amazon. Turns out I didn't even use the gloves...just got in the way.

The three phillips head screws holding the blade on came our pretty easily with some forward pressure from my opposite hand while I backed the screws out. I used some of the food safe spray on the threads before I reinstalled the blade. You don't want to drop that blade on anything you want to keep, that's for sure. No way to clean that slicer without removing the blade.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/Aahhyes68/00 Slicer/IMG_0627_zps008c0700.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/Aahhyes68/00 Slicer/IMG_0631_zps4f81a7bb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/Aahhyes68/00 Slicer/IMG_0629_zpsc656d54b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/Aahhyes68/00 Slicer/IMG_0619_zps6e1ce529.jpg

I was a bit disappointed about the length of foods I could slice on the Advantco but It's a keeper, I'll work around it. It sliced up 20# of cheese last weekend likea hot knife through butter, American, Swiss, Colby Jack and Cheddar. I also sliced up that roast beef I made on my PG the night before... I'm pleased..

Last edited:
I like my Avantco, but wish I'd spent more and got the Berkel 12".

As to cleaning, I break the whole thing down after every use. Took some doing to remove the 3 phillips screws the very first time, but now they unscrew easily.

Walked into a store in London Ontario about 15 years ago.  They had slicer like the one pictured for $500.  I looked it over and said I would pay no more than 350 for a slicer of that size.

I continued to walk around, as I was leaving, the guy behind the counter asked if I wanted it, I said no too expensive.  He then said if you have $350, it is yours, take it.

To this day, I still own it and use it from time to time.

I recently purchased the Advantco 10" unit as well. The the cleaning kit seemed kinda' pricey for what it was. I ordered the QuickSan, lubricating spray from them but ordered a pair of cut resistant gloves from Amazon. Turns out I didn't even use the gloves...just got in the way.

The three phillips head screws holding the blade on came our pretty easily with some forward pressure from my opposite hand while I backed the screws out. I used some of the food safe spray on the threads before I reinstalled the blade. You don't want to drop that blade on anything you want to keep, that's for sure. No way to clean that slicer without removing the blade.
Why remove the blade?  That screw on the back of the blade removes the blade front cover.  Then you can wash the front and rear by spinning the blade around with a dish washing rag held against the inside edge of the blade.  My slicer is very similar to yours and that is what i do to mine.  Never once has the blade been off.

If you go here - http://www.globeslicers.com/pdfs/doclib/globe_docs/gc9-gc10-gc12-gc12d-manual.pdf you will see the manual for my slicer, which is similar to yours, go to page 10 and read the cleaning the blade instructions.

Last edited:

Why remove the blade?  That screw on the back of the blade removes the blade front cover.  Then you can wash the front and rear by spinning the blade around with a dish washing rag held against the inside edge of the blade.  My slicer is very similar to yours and that is what i do to mine.  Never once has the blade been off.
Tried that the first time cleaning my slicer. And I have a 1/2" scar on my index finger to prove it. 
no_no.gif

I don't have to clean my slicer.

I got a Dishwasher 44 years ago, and she still does an outstanding job!!!

Bear
Blowing the cob webs off here a bit....I got me one of those dishwashers as well. Wondering if a meat slicer is necessary or not? Just the 2 of us. She has 2 nice sets of Henckels....thought I sharpen on a regular basis...realize that the slicer will make for uniform slices but....

Cman, so you've had your slicer for some time now. I just came across this post while researching a slicer. I've really been leaning towards the Advantco. Since you've had it for some time now can you give us an update on what you think? Also have you sliced cheese at all? I know even in the description it states not suitable for cheeses. Just wondering if that was more of a safety procaution for the motor.

Had my Avantco for just over a year now, just sliced up 11 lbs of bacon last night and 2 whole pork loins (Canadian Bacon) last month. It still runs like a champ.

FYI, I always break it down completely when cleaning it. I find it more reassuring to have the knife off when wiping down the unit with the sponge.

Another tip is I use q-tips to get little bits out of cracks & crevices before I start wiping down the unit...

Blowing the cob webs off here a bit....I got me one of those dishwashers as well. Wondering if a meat slicer is necessary or not? Just the 2 of us. She has 2 nice sets of Henckels....thought I sharpen on a regular basis...realize that the slicer will make for uniform slices but....
I need it bad.

Some guys can slice Bacon by hand & do a Beautiful Job---Not me!!

However, no matter how good you are with a knife, you could never slice Dried Beef or Venison Dried Beef thin enough without a meat slicer.

So I would say if you're really really good with a knife, and you never plan to make any Dried Beef, you may never need one.

Bear

I think I'm going to go with the Advancto 12 inch step up. I really want the option of slicing cheese and I don't want to spend 3 to 400 dollars just to burn the motor up. Are you slightly freezing the bellies before slicing?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky