Best Meat Slicer for Bacon and/or Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
There is a workaround although you have to be very careful and pay attention to what you're doing. If you new to using a slicer, I wouldn't try this until you're comfortable using one.

You can line up the bacon with the back against the product tray and the front is perhaps 30-45deg to the product tray parallel to the slicing blade. Lower the piece thru the slicer blade while spinning until its on the tray, then use the gravity feeder and run it safely thru the blade. You can get longer slices as you're starting your cut diagonally relative to the product tray. You must only START THE CUT diagonally. Once down on the product tray, run it normally thru the slicer. I've managed to get 8-10" slices with my 7.5" blade on my present slicer. That slicer only has a 6" product tray. 

An 8" slice isn't bad by any stretch as that almost is the width of a standard sheet of paper (8.5").  Please note that once you're past a certain thickness on your product, this method no longer works and it becomes dangerous to use any other product orientation except the normal one. Two words here: Common Sense.

You'll should be able to get that 8" slice with normal operation with the Avantco. I just found out that my slicer shipped today and should be here tomorrow as the store is in Lancaster, PA.  I will keep you posted. 

Last edited:
Too high on the Berkel. I think I'm in the sweetspot with the 10" Avantco. Thanks for the thought however.. :)

Just an update. I received my Chef's Choice 609 model. It has a small blade, but worked pretty damn well for my bacon (partially frozen). It sliced through 3 pounds without a hiccup. The slices I got were about 7 inches, which is fine for me as this bacon doesnt shrink too much anyway. For the $100 I paid and the few times I'm actually going to need a deli slicer I think it was worth the money...so long as it holds up, but all the online reviews are good so I think it will.

Another Update. My Avantco arrived today in perfect condition. After reading the manual, I decided to do a test cut to see if my investment would pay dividends. The bacon slices came out perfectly. Cleaning the Avantco was easy as all that was needed was to remove two knobs for the blade cover plate and the product tray.To remove the blade itself, four cross-tip screws were all that fastened to the motor housing. All in all, a very easy unit to use..

Here's several pics:

Not too shabby. I was able to slim down the thickness of the slices which yielded a lot more product. What you're looking at is the result of one third of a pork belly I cut  before curing with Pop's brine. I decided not to smoke this batch. 

Another Update. My Avantco arrived today in perfect condition. After reading the manual, I decided to do a test cut to see if my investment would pay dividends. The bacon slices came out perfectly. Cleaning the Avantco was easy as all that was needed was to remove two knobs for the blade cover plate and the product tray.To remove the blade itself, four cross-tip screws were all that fastened to the motor housing. All in all, a very easy unit to use..

Here's several pics:

Not too shabby. I was able to slim down the thickness of the slices which yielded a lot more product. What you're looking at is the result of one third of a pork belly I cut  before curing with Pop's brine. I decided not to smoke this batch. 
looks good. i need to get a bigger slicer. i started a batch of belly today using pops brine. i guess that gives me 10 days or so to buy a bigger slicer if i'm going to.

happy smoken.

david

Crap!  I placed an order for the avantco along with a bunch of other stuff and just got an email saying that the slicer isn't in stock and won't be in until May.    Since I'm heading to the US later this month to pick up my other orders, this means no slicer for me for a little while, especially since I'm not willing to pay the premium for the 12" at this time.    Not worth driving across just for a single item.    
frown.gif

My thoughts would be that if you chill the cheese to a more solid state, slicing it shouldn't be a problem. I'm thinking the restriction might be for room temp or soft cheese. I wouldn't let that cheese limitation get in the way of getting a slicer. I'm sure you can always find a workaround for that. 

Crap!  I placed an order for the avantco along with a bunch of other stuff and just got an email saying that the slicer isn't in stock and won't be in until May.    Since I'm heading to the US later this month to pick up my other orders, this means no slicer for me for a little while, especially since I'm not willing to pay the premium for the 12" at this time.    Not worth driving across just for a single item.    
frown.gif
Funny you should say that. I just happened by the websturantstore.com website and they had them listed. I called them and they said they just got some in. That was 4 days ago. Go to the link I posted and give them a call. You might luck up. I know this slicer seems to be very popular and somewhat hard to find. 

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ava...gravity-feed-meat-slicer-1-4-hp/177SL310.html

Good luck!

Update. I just checked and indeed, they're all out until May. Dayum they went fast. 4 days and out of stock already!

Last edited:
Update. I just checked and indeed, they're all out until May. Dayum they went fast. 4 days and out of stock already!
I snoozed and I lost.  I was ordering tons of bits and pieces so was waiting to be sure about my order before submitting it and that took me a day.  And this was after waiting for a week until they were back in stock before placing my order.   Oh well, I'm, hoping to be able to score a deal on a nice used 12" ..   I'll use my good knives to slice stuff in the meantime.    I'm still pissed that I missed out on it though 
icon_confused.gif

Last edited:
Below is a thread on the "Chef's Choice" slicer I recently got for a gift.....  9 1/2" clearance for slicing....  I had a Rival and this thing is awesome.... easy clean up....  I can recommend it.... A commercial slicer would have been very nice.... I use the slicer about 2-3 times a month....  It does what they say it does and they don't exagerate...    Dave

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...heese-bread-slicer-roast-beef-and-lox-q-views

Below is a thread on the "Chef's Choice" slicer I recently got for a gift.....  9 1/2" clearance for slicing....  I had a Rival and this thing is awesome.... easy clean up....  I can recommend it.... A commercial slicer would have been very nice.... I use the slicer about 2-3 times a month....  It does what they say it does and they don't exagerate...    Dave

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...heese-bread-slicer-roast-beef-and-lox-q-views
Looks very similar to the 609. I wonder what the difference is?  So far i'm happy and for $100 I can't beat that! Your model is $149 online, which is still great!

As an aside, I did ( and still am) considering Avantco. But...... I really don't want to buy a high dollar slicer (or high dollar anything else ) manufactured in China.

I've nothing against the Chinese people, but do have issues with the gov't of The Peoples Republic and the rampant piracy and hacking  of western technology, ideas and copyright.

So, if i must spend almost twice as much for a Berkel, Globe or Hobart, so be it or I'll do without.

Well, politics aside, the avantco is available now at the websturant website. Although its manufactured in China, its sold here in the states and as such, benefits Americans trying to make a living in a day and age when manufacturing is almost non existent in the US. I can say w/o any hesitation that the unit has performed flawlessly. It's solidly made, the product comes out consistent no matter what thickness I choose, and its easy to maintain. I can't ask more than that at the price point I paid. 

I'm not one to question or try to change hearts and minds so do what you think you should. I'm happy with my avantco and if my purchase keeps one more American employed, then I'm more than willing to put up with the "made in china" label. 

JMHO. 

Last edited:
As an aside, I did ( and still am) considering Avantco. But...... I really don't want to buy a high dollar slicer (or high dollar anything else ) manufactured in China.

I've nothing against the Chinese people, but do have issues with the gov't of The Peoples Republic and the rampant piracy and hacking  of western technology, ideas and copyright.

So, if i must spend almost twice as much for a Berkel, Globe or Hobart, so be it or I'll do without.
Go with hobart and be happy.  My uncle has a globe and it doesnt compare to my hobart.

Been waiting (im)patiently for a decent slicer to appear on craigslist. One popped up recently, a Pronto brand. Anyone ever heard of it?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky