Best Jerky, One Mistake

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sven Svensson

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 5, 2021
Sonoma County, California
I just made the best beef jerky of my life but I made one big mistake. Without thinking I used prime eye of round. I should have used a lesser cut and saved the prime for the rotisserie. Prime has too much marbling which isn’t suited for jerky. The fat can go rancid. So I guess my friends are going to benefit.

For the first time I used my slicer to get 1/4” cuts with the grain. I’ve never cut it that thick. Next, my seasoning method was a bit unconventional in that I used all off-the-shelf products. I lightly coated both sides of the mini meat slabs with Kinder’s Caramelized Onion Burger Seasoning. Into a zip loc it went for 2 days. Next, I soaked it all in Buchan’s Japanese BBQ sauce for 3 days. Then, I drained it and coated one side with Rob’s Smokey Hot Rub right before drying.

A889F4A1-A28B-4C0B-B652-AB52DE9141DC.jpeg

You can see the marbling, which although is fantastic, was a mistake for this project. I put it in my LEM dehydrator for 6 hours at 140. The outside was dried while the inside was chewy, just how I like it.

469D3EE0-C527-4A8F-8AC3-9D91A91EC642.jpeg
It has a deep caramel color. I can really taste the onion, the Buchan’s, and it just enough heat from Rob’s rub. Next time I’ll remember to use a cheaper cut of meat and save the good stuff for the Kudu rotisserie.

Looks good to me Sven, Love jerky really need to start making it. Do/did you use any cure in it? I have a cheap Ronco dehydrator, need to put a prob in it one of these days and see what temp it runs.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
I would think you can vac pack and freeze some if you want it to last longer
That was going to be my question. I did have a little go bad last time. Anyone have good luck vacseal/freezing/thawing? Wonder if it changes the texture irreversibly.

Looks great
As long as it’s fresh, I prefer a little fat in the thicker cut steaks
Totally agree. I don't make jerky anymore but if you use heat on it rather than just air and slice it thick a little fat makes it tasty. I used to make a ton of jerky and sell it at work to fund my habit, I always cut my own stash a bit thick. Outside dry but inside chewy is money and the fat is mighty tasty fresh.

Sven Svensson Sven Svensson you nailed it IMO. At the job I mentioned earlier that would have been about a 2 day supply, 3 tops so no worries about rancidity! I lived on it at work. It was a hot and physical job and eating real food made me sick in the summertime when it could be 110 in the building even at 2am. I just munched on jerky all night those nights.

I haven't seen that caramelized burger flavor but I will be on the lookout for it. I'm burned out on the buttery steakhouse again.

Well I bet it still has a nice bite.

Around here, the stores use top round for London broil, and I'll ask them to slice one about 1.5" thick when I make jerky. It's on the lean side and usually has only one vein of fat which is easy to slice around.

At the end of the day Sven, the jerky looks fantastic. I know what you mean about the marbling though. Many moons ago I tried making jerky with a brisket. What a huge waster of meat but a good learning experience I guess. Until I found CPB top sirloin roasts, I just used Choice or Select grade eye of round roasts and they worked out well.

Robert

That was going to be my question. I did have a little go bad last time. Anyone have good luck vacseal/freezing/thawing? Wonder if it changes the texture irreversibly.
I’ve got frozen jerky I’ve thawed several times now and it’s great

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky