Best Grilling Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mickey jay

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
Lynnwood, WA
I don't believe I've ever come across this thread before.. the best grilling sausage. I'm talking about the sausage that you pull out to throw on the grill when there's a bunch of guests coming over and it's last minute and you don't have time to make anything else or you just want to surprise and impress the whole crew. Bratwursts are awesome, but not everyone digs em; hot dogs are a little too Costco (yet too hard to make homemade); looking for something in the middle, that everyone is going to like, and also has the homemade sausage thing going for it, and is easy to make (which prob excludes smoked sausages unless they're really amazing). I'm thinking like maybe a fresh kielbasa or something like it.. let's see the recipes!

I'm planning on making a small test batch tomorrow.. I have some ideas but would love to try someone's tried and true rather than run an experiment.

thanks all!

I don't believe I've ever come across this thread before.. the best grilling sausage. I'm talking about the sausage that you pull out to throw on the grill when there's a bunch of guests coming over and it's last minute and you don't have time to make anything else or you just want to surprise and impress the whole crew. Bratwursts are awesome, but not everyone digs em; hot dogs are a little too Costco (yet too hard to make homemade); looking for something in the middle, that everyone is going to like, and also has the homemade sausage thing going for it, and is easy to make (which prob excludes smoked sausages unless they're really amazing). I'm thinking like maybe a fresh kielbasa or something like it.. let's see the recipes!

I'm planning on making a small test batch tomorrow.. I have some ideas but would love to try someone's tried and true rather than run an experiment.

thanks all!
MJ Here is a link recipe for one of my sausages that are great grilled.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/chicken-sausage-italian.201583/
Richie

Italian sausage and peppers are always a hit. Plus you can use either hot or sweet so everyone is happy.

Chris

Well I have a great idea you get a bunch of sausage line them up on the the grill and I will greatly taste test for you. :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing:

You have been sent a great recipe from Richie. He also has some other ones.

Warren

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
If it is something you have already made in the freezer -- whatever you make, short of breakfast style sage-y sausage would be a treat to throw on the grill to brown off, and serve! If brats are too unusual, and dogs too costco, try a sweet or hot italian type. Unsmoked Kielbasa will go under the name of "white kielbasa" (meaning unsmoked). It could go under kielbasa biala (polish / slavic for 'white'). I'd post recipes later (when I find my folder) for you if you wish. R

thanks all!

I mostly run with 2 sausages. Venison Brats with pork fat (Lem Fresh Brat Seasoning), and all Pork Franks (Lem Cured Franks Seasoning). I make these every year from the animals we get from my big yearly hunting trip.

It seems half like the brats and half like the franks more but both are amazing
I personally like the brats more than the franks. I have tried brats all over the US (including Wisconsin and Minnesota) and a few places over seas (not Germany though). I have been thoroughly UNIMPRESSED with the brats everywhere and did not understand why people liked them... THEN, I started making my own sausage and had a variety seasoning pack that came with me LEM's 5lbs stuffer and so I just made what they provided and WOW their brats blew me away!

I do my part in using top notch meat and techniques for the sausage but I can't claim anything on the seasoning recipe, that is all LEM's. The LEM's brats and franks make the best I've ever eaten... just season about 1.5 pounds or so light for every 20 pounds to avoid getting to salty and then prepare to be amazed! Best Franks around as well!

I've tried other recipes for both brats and franks and they were pointless. So I just stick with buying those seasoning blends and I've given up on trying to beat them with any other seasoning recipes out there.

If you have a meat market they usually have the best sausages. Hirsh's meats around Dallas is awesome.

Yeah Hirsch's has some pretty good sausages. I really like that "Texican" one or whatever it is called. It is like a German or Polish sausage and Taco meat had a baby hahaha! :emoji_laughing:

Too Costco?

Not sure what to make of that.

My sausage preference for grilling I hot Italian

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky