Best Corn on the Cobb ----- Brine it.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bwsmith_2000

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 9, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
I have a great tip for those who enjoy corn on the cobb. I was watching Cook's Cooking show on Georgia Public TV yesterday and they were doing corn on the cobb. They brined the corn in a solution of a gallon of water and a half cup each of salt and sugar. It was allowed to brine for about three hours (no more than 6). Then grill on high heat, turning every 2-3 minutes for ten to fourteen minutes total time. And but the way, the sugar was optional. It is only used if the corn is a little past it's prime. Long story short .... I tried it last evening and it was delicious. Very tender, moist and wonderful. From now on, I'll always brine my corn before grilling.

interesting idea Bill, I'll have to give it a try with some of the early corn we're getting here now. Thanks,

I have a great tip for those who enjoy corn on the cobb. I was watching Cook's Cooking show on Georgia Public TV yesterday and they were doing corn on the cobb. They brined the corn in a solution of a gallon of water and a half cup each of salt and sugar. It was allowed to brine for about three hours (no more than 6). Then grill on high heat, turning every 2-3 minutes for ten to fourteen minutes total time. And but the way, the sugar was optional. It is only used if the corn is a little past it's prime. Long story short .... I tried it last evening and it was delicious. Very tender, moist and wonderful. From now on, I'll always brine my corn before grilling.
Bill,

Were they husked before brining & grilling?

A buddy of mine used to soak ears of corn in the husks. Then grill them in the husk.

Actually, I think he pulled the husks back---Then removed the silk---Then pulled the husks back over the ears & soaked and grilled them like that.

Bear

[quote name="Bearcarver" url="/forum/thread/105444/best-corn-on-the-cobb-brine-it#post_619929"]

Bill,

A buddy of mine used to soak ears of corn in the husks. Then grill them in the husk.

Actually, I think he pulled the husks back---Then removed the silk---Then pulled the husks back over the ears & soaked and grilled them like that.

Bear

[/quote]

That's how we do them here.. and we have corn festivals here all the time.

If we are removing the kernels from the cob, and making like a little corn salad, I'll blacken/heavily grill one cob, so it has that seared, grilled, charred flavor, to be cut up with the rest of the traditionally cooked corn.

Bill,

Bear

Hi Bear and others,

Sorry about the lack of detail. I saw it on TV and it was perfectly clear to me. He He He ...... anyway, yes the ears were completely shucked and silk removed ...... ready to eat. Then brinned and grilled. I've also soaked the ears in the shuck and grilled them that way but I really like the Cook's way better. Shucked, silked, brined and grilled. Hope you enjoy as much as I did.

I love to grill my corn.I just soak it for 30 mins. then trow it on the grill of a bed of charcoals is even better. I have never heard of brining corn.But then again I really don't need to seeing that i stop at my cornfield and pick what i want for dinner...you really can't get much fresher than that!!!

Add a tblsp of liquid crab boil to that brine for some kicked up corn.

Add a tblsp of liquid crab boil to that brine for some kicked up corn.
emann has the plan. That flavor will definitely brighten up the corn, or anything else. It's all good my friend.

Sounds good i will be trying this one.. Thanks for posting.
icon14.gif

Hi Bear and others,

Sorry about the lack of detail. I saw it on TV and it was perfectly clear to me. He He He ...... anyway, yes the ears were completely shucked and silk removed ...... ready to eat. Then brinned and grilled. I've also soaked the ears in the shuck and grilled them that way but I really like the Cook's way better. Shucked, silked, brined and grilled. Hope you enjoy as much as I did.
Thanks BWS,

Now I got it.

Might have to add a little liquid crab boil to it!  Those LA guys know how to flavor things up!

Bear

Try this for corn:

Soak corn in water in the husk for 30 min

Cook for 15 min turning every 2-3 min

When done, pull off the grill let cool enough to pull the shuck back( leave it attached).  Usually no strings either, then rub the corn with Mayonaise...yes MAYO, sprinkle with red crushed pepper..and salt/pepper if desired.

Use the shuck as your handle for the hot corn and enjoy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky