• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

best casing size for most sausages

gdp

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 18, 2019
Newbie here. I've made a few batches of hot dogs and sticks, and now ready to step up and make "middle size" sausages like italian, brats, boudin for sure, etc. The issue I have is that I like buying an entire hank for the quality but a hank might last me a year or 2 or 3 at the rate I make sausages. I like natural casings and very pleased with the 20 and 22mm casing hanks I got from Butcher Packer, so now I'm hoping to find 1 natural casing size that will be good for all of the middle size sausages mentioned above. It would be nice to only have to keep 1 size in the fridge. Maybe it's like asking if Ford or Chevy is better :) , but if you had to pick 1 size casing for italian/brats/boudin, what size would you get?

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
Personally I like 29-32mm, but 32-35mm is the go to for most people.

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Me too , 29 - 32 .
The issue I have is that I like buying an entire hank for the quality but a hank might last me a year or 2 or 3 at the rate I make sausages.
They will last that long when stored correctly .
Mine used to last that long . Just got my 4th bucket in the mail last week . Hard to eat store bought after you get your own figured out .
I use these ,
20190302_113647.jpg

pops6927

Gone but never forgotten.
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jul 23, 2008
I use 32-35 mm in pre-tubed casings from Syracuse casings - www.makincasing.com they are packed in salt, just rinse off what you need and store the rest in your refrigerator!

Last edited:

pops6927

Gone but never forgotten.
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jul 23, 2008
Prices include shipping, too! They are THE BEST!

gdp

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 18, 2019
I use 32-35 mm in pre-tubed casings from Syracuse casings - www.makincasing.com they are packed in salt, just rinse off what you need and store the rest in your refrigerator!
Are they shipped in a salt solution or dry salt? I've been led to believe that salt solution is the best but don't have the experience to know.

gdp

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 18, 2019
Personally I like 29-32mm, but 32-35mm is the go to for most people.
Thanks! I think I'll like the 29-32 as well but want to see what others use.
Me too , 29 - 32 .

They will last that long when stored correctly .
Mine used to last that long . Just got my 4th bucket in the mail last week . Hard to eat store bought after you get your own figured out .
I use these ,
View attachment 430439
Thanks for adding the info. That was my understanding but good to hear it from someone with experience. I have my 20 and 22mm stored that way. Totally agree about "hard to eat store bought"..the hot dogs I made were life changing haha.

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
An old thread of mine got bumped a minute ago . From 2018 . I make a comment in it about buying my first hank of quality casings . So I've went thru 3 in a year and a half . LOL. Got the fourth rinsed and soaking like this ,

gdp

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 18, 2019
An old thread of mine got bumped a minute ago . From 2018 . I make a comment in it about buying my first hank of quality casings . So I've went thru 3 in a year and a half . LOL. Got the fourth rinsed and soaking like this ,
That's a lot of sausage to eat! If you have too much you can send it my way :)
Thanks for the thread on handling but I was lucky enough to see it before I got my first shot at handling casings. That really saved me a lot on the learning curve!

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.