Best Brisket (by accident) I've Ever Made

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MJB05615

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2018
DACULA GA
Evening All. Been very busy and haven't posted in a while. Anyway this was from July 4th. We had our first get together of a few close friends in 2 years. I smoked a Brisket. I'll briefly explain below each picture and get to the point of the "by accident" very fast.
Had a 15.6lb Prime Brisket from Sam's in the Freezer for a while. I got it back in March for $2.38/lb.
IMG_2646.jpg
All rubbed after trimming with a recipe I've been using for 8 years.
IMG_2647.jpg
Onto the MES 40 Gen 1 at 10pm after sitting in the Fridge overnight. Cooking at 225' using only Hickory.
IMG_2653.jpg
Now here's the "Accident" part. Here it is all done nicely probe tender, resting after finishing unwrapped, etc. Looks like everything went perfectly normal.
We planned to serve Dinner at 4pm, but this was just about done , IT 205, probe tender, etc around 1pm. Not sure why, never had it done so fast in the past, even with smaller cuts.
So instead of wrapping in blankets and putting cooler, etc. I left it in the smoker with the temp set at 125 for the next 3 hours. I've never done this before.
IMG_2654.jpg
When we started slicing and all, it was the juiciest and most tender Brisket we've ever done. I am definitely doing them this way from now on.
IMG_2657.jpg IMG_2658.jpg
The Bark was excellent, without wrapping for the first time. Even the Flat was moist. Got some leftovers of the Point Vac Sealed in the freezer, can't wait to use it.
Everyone enjoyed it as well as the sides. No pics as we were all very busy gabbing with folks we haven't seen in almost 2 years.
Thanks for looking in.

That's is a great result and some fine looking Brisket...JJ

Thanks JJ. I'm anxious to use the leftover Point Vac Sealed in the Freezer.

I know Franklin's BBQ in Austin "holds" their briskets at serving temps for hours and hours after coming off the smokers.
It's purely a practical matter of having too many customers who want steaming fresh briskets but it also allows the meat to relax and re-absorb juices.
I've been wanting to "hold" one in the smoker as it cools down myself, good work!

Reactions: MJB05615
I know Franklin's BBQ in Austin "holds" their briskets at serving temps for hours and hours after coming off the smokers.
It's purely a practical matter of having too many customers who want steaming fresh briskets but it also allows the meat to relax and re-absorb juices.
I've been wanting to "hold" one in the smoker as it cools down myself, good work!
Well, if Franklin's does it, I'm in good company. LOL. Thanks for kind words, I'll be doing them this way going forward.

Looks good Mike !
That's a good way to do it . I finish all mine in the oven , then shut the oven off and leave the brisket in and watch the internal temp drop . When it gets to 150 I turn the oven back on set to 170 . Might do that cycle 2 or 3 times depending and how early it was done .
I bet you're going to love the re heated point too .
Nice work . Brisket is hard to beat when it's perfect like that .

Reactions: MJB05615
Looks good Mike !
That's a good way to do it . I finish all mine in the oven , then shut the oven off and leave the brisket in and watch the internal temp drop . When it gets to 150 I turn the oven back on set to 170 . Might do that cycle 2 or 3 times depending and how early it was done .
I bet you're going to love the re heated point too .
Nice work . Brisket is hard to beat when it's perfect like that .
Thanks Rich. Wish I stumbled on this idea years ago. Anxious to use the leftover point, will let you know how it is when I do. Your method sounds good too. I just read Kroger here has them on sale for $2.99. If there's any left when I go, gonna 1 or 3, because I don't think we're gonna see that price again for a while.

I usually find that to be the case when reheating from vac sealed frozen on most meats. The only thing we haven't liked was Pork Loin. The texture was completely different and dry. I always add some liquid broth or similar when I vac seal. Beef is always similar or better, but the Pork Loin hasn't been.

That there is some good looking eats Mike. Being accident prone is a good thing in this case.

Point for sure
Chris

I just did about a 3 pound section of the point end from frozen in the SV .
Just as good if not better than the day it was cooked .

I have 3 sections vac sealed and frozen. What time and temp you like? Tempted to do a long run a la Franklin like 8-10hrs at 140F.

That there is some good looking eats Mike. Being accident prone is a good thing in this case.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris, gives new meaning to "Happy Accident," LOL.

Accident? From where I'm sitting it looks to be more "culinary genius" than anything Mike! Beautiful piece of work, Like! RAY
Thanks Ray. I really appreciate your kind words. I thinks there's an old saying along the lines of I learn more smart things accidentally than on purpose, lol. Something like that anyway. Appreciate it my friend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky