Belly bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 17, 2013
Central Pa
Got 10 lb of pork belly, cured with TQ and brown sugar as per Bear.

Cured for 10 days the 2 days in the fridge to rest.

Broke out this ol girl for the job.

Got Pitmasters Blend smoking away.  Set temp at 120 the whole time.

Into the smoke.

11 hours later we have this.

In the fridge to rest for 2-3 days.

Sliced pics later in the week.

Thanks for looking.

Looks good. I'm trying to get a membership to Restaurant Depot.  Pork bellies were $2.06 per lbs a week or so ago.  Had to buy a box that weighed about 50 lbs though.

That's a good deal. I paid 3.69 for this belly.

My last belly cost me somewhere around $3.50.  That's why I haven't done anymore of my own - it's good, but I can buy decent thick cut store bacon for the same price.  Hard to do it knowing that it is costing me more.

Now, if I can get the $2.06 price, then it's game on!!!!

A rub using tender quick.

Last edited:
Thanks Disco. Wait for the sliced pics.

My last belly cost me somewhere around $3.50.  That's why I haven't done anymore of my own - it's good, but I can buy decent thick cut store bacon for the same price.  Hard to do it knowing that it is costing me more.

Now, if I can get the $2.06 price, then it's game on!!!!
Store bought here is 6 bucks a lb plus mine is way better.

I don't blame you.  You are saving $2.50 a lbs and getting something better.  I would do the same if I was saving that much.  It just cost me as much for bellies as it does bacon.  Go figure.

Do you have much fat rendered cooking at 120?

None. Check out the link I posted above.

Good looking belly my friend,will chime in for the sliced pics later. How do you like going with just the one temp?

Looks great man 
kewl.gif
   I'm out of bacon 
th_crybaby2.gif
  I need to buy some more belly when I get out & about - until that happens I'm gonna drool all over your pictures 
drool.gif

32.gif

drool.gif

Good looking belly my friend,will chime in for the sliced pics later. How do you like going with just the one temp?

Thanks, other than cold smoking this is the only way I have done it. Would there be a difference ramping the temps up like Bear does?

Looks great man 
kewl.gif

I'm out of bacon  :th_crybaby2:   I need to buy some more belly when I get out & about - until that happens I'm gonna drool all over your pictures  :drool   :32:   :drool

Thanks. Come back wensday with a towel.

Thanks Foam but I would like to find better slabs. Thicker slabs.

Thanks, other than cold smoking this is the only way I have done it. Would there be a difference ramping the temps up like Bear does?
Actually the Step by Step "Bacon (Extra Smokey)" that Adam used was basically set at 120* for 9 1/2 hours after putting the AMNS in.

The only change I made then was 130* (10 more degrees) for the last 2 hours. That was just to add a little more color.

That last 2 hours was the only difference between yours & mine, and 10* for 2 hours isn't really a difference.

Your Bacon looks Beautiful, Adam!!!

I'm betting it tastes even better, too!!!

Nice Job,

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky