• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Beer Can Turkey?

tx smoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
I've never tried it Derek but I bet it'd be great. No reason in the world why it wouldn't work just as good as it does on chicken. Due to the larger cavity in a turkey I'd recommend putting the beer in a Mason jar though.Let 'er rip and keep us posted. The idea sounds fantastic.

Robert

Central PA Cowboy

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 10, 2017
Well, the turkey I picked up is a “young turkey” and is 7.5 pounds.

I like the mason jar idea, tx smoker tx smoker

That might work. Also considering a 16 oz can of something since it is a tiny bit bigger than the beer can chickens I do with 12 oz cans.

Sounds weird, but I’ve had success with Blue Moon. Something with the orange flavor and chicken goes well.

Either way, I’ll try to do something a little off the beaten path. Have to make the wife happy, too. Can’t get too ridiculous lol.

tallbm

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
Well, the turkey I picked up is a “young turkey” and is 7.5 pounds.

I like the mason jar idea, tx smoker tx smoker

That might work. Also considering a 16 oz can of something since it is a tiny bit bigger than the beer can chickens I do with 12 oz cans.

Sounds weird, but I’ve had success with Blue Moon. Something with the orange flavor and chicken goes well.

Either way, I’ll try to do something a little off the beaten path. Have to make the wife happy, too. Can’t get too ridiculous lol.
I use this for Turkey's, the image doesnt do the size justice, this sucker fits a 20 pound turkey with no problem:
amazon" style="max-width:120px">
I put this in a foil pain and then the bird on the rack. Don't rely on the little pan to catch the drips or even attempt to hold all the drippings so foil pan to the rescue... especially for a brined bird and big birds :)

tx smoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
I can see the orange going really well with the turkey. Worst case just quarter a fresh orange and drop it in the beer if you're going with the Mason jar.

Robert

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 16, 2016
These beer can cooks are supposedly bunk HOWEVER they work because they stand the bird upright and makes for much more even cooking temps. My opinion about this is based on the I time spent around $50 for ingredients for my water pan and zero flavor contribution. I will admit that POSSIBLY a strong flavored liquid in close proximity to meat might actually work however I remain skeptical.

tx smoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
These beer can cooks are supposedly bunk HOWEVER they work because they stand the bird upright and makes for much more even cooking temps.
To a large degree I would concur, however there is a slight flavor you get from the beer but mostly it's the yeast that has the greatest impact. You'll get a nice flavor from it but somehow the yeast also tenderizes the meat and helps to keep it moist. In a bygone era I did beer can chickens quite often and the yeast was really the only flavor I could pick up on but the bird itself was always super moist and juicy. I would also tend to agree that with a stronger flavored liquid you'd stand a chance of getting more flavor. Maybe a porter, stout, or a good bock beer would impart more flavor.

Robert

SmokinVOLfan

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 27, 2018
Sounds interesting. If you try it let us know how it turns out Derek. I like the blue moon chicken idea too. Haven't done beer can yard birds in ages.

smokin peachey

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 1, 2016
Are you sure you don’t wanna use a red ale and try rubbing under the skin with a buttery yeast and orange zest mixture?

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Better get a big can of beer!!
Fosters has some really large cans that I think would work.
Al

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Yup I go for the bigger cans not sure how they are sold but if in 6 packs the more to drink and be merrier.

Warren

alan123

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 22, 2015
Late to the party but I did a beer can turkey last summer, I used a Fosters beer, the can fit great, turkey turn out great also but I think it was a one time smoke for me....... chicken From now on, lol. Good luck!

smokin peachey

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 1, 2016
I vote bluemoon. I think cowboy got this one figured out and unless something unforeseen happens this should be best turkey ever. Heck I’m canceling my cook just because I know he has already got the blue ribbon smoke planned.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.