Beer Can Turkey?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've never tried it Derek but I bet it'd be great. No reason in the world why it wouldn't work just as good as it does on chicken. Due to the larger cavity in a turkey I'd recommend putting the beer in a Mason jar though.Let 'er rip and keep us posted. The idea sounds fantastic.

Robert

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
Well, the turkey I picked up is a “young turkey” and is 7.5 pounds.

I like the mason jar idea, tx smoker tx smoker

That might work. Also considering a 16 oz can of something since it is a tiny bit bigger than the beer can chickens I do with 12 oz cans.

Sounds weird, but I’ve had success with Blue Moon. Something with the orange flavor and chicken goes well.

Either way, I’ll try to do something a little off the beaten path. Have to make the wife happy, too. Can’t get too ridiculous lol.

Reactions: JLeonard
Well, the turkey I picked up is a “young turkey” and is 7.5 pounds.

I like the mason jar idea, tx smoker tx smoker

That might work. Also considering a 16 oz can of something since it is a tiny bit bigger than the beer can chickens I do with 12 oz cans.

Sounds weird, but I’ve had success with Blue Moon. Something with the orange flavor and chicken goes well.

Either way, I’ll try to do something a little off the beaten path. Have to make the wife happy, too. Can’t get too ridiculous lol.

I use this for Turkey's, the image doesnt do the size justice, this sucker fits a 20 pound turkey with no problem:

I put this in a foil pain and then the bird on the rack. Don't rely on the little pan to catch the drips or even attempt to hold all the drippings so foil pan to the rescue... especially for a brined bird and big birds :)

These beer can cooks are supposedly bunk HOWEVER they work because they stand the bird upright and makes for much more even cooking temps. My opinion about this is based on the I time spent around $50 for ingredients for my water pan and zero flavor contribution. I will admit that POSSIBLY a strong flavored liquid in close proximity to meat might actually work however I remain skeptical.

These beer can cooks are supposedly bunk HOWEVER they work because they stand the bird upright and makes for much more even cooking temps.

To a large degree I would concur, however there is a slight flavor you get from the beer but mostly it's the yeast that has the greatest impact. You'll get a nice flavor from it but somehow the yeast also tenderizes the meat and helps to keep it moist. In a bygone era I did beer can chickens quite often and the yeast was really the only flavor I could pick up on but the bird itself was always super moist and juicy. I would also tend to agree that with a stronger flavored liquid you'd stand a chance of getting more flavor. Maybe a porter, stout, or a good bock beer would impart more flavor.

Robert

Late to the party but I did a beer can turkey last summer, I used a Fosters beer, the can fit great, turkey turn out great also but I think it was a one time smoke for me....... chicken From now on, lol. Good luck!

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky