Beer can or Spatchcocked?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Millberry

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 12, 2020
Buford, GA
Simple question to my friends-Beer can or Spatchcocked Chicken ?? Would love a recipe suggestion. (WSM-18.5)Thanks folks!

Sorry I can't be of much help here. I only do chicken parts. I have done whole turkeys on the WSM. High heat around 325* to 350* no beer can or spatching. If your going with the beer can and low temps then don't bother using real beer. Drink the beer and replace it with water. It won't add any flavor to the chicken at all.

Chris

Reactions: Millberry
Spatch, with Chimichurri rubbed under skin. Smoker @ ~ 325-350.
1608501168250.png

Beer can makes a nice bird, but as mentioned you only need water cuz that’s all steam is. I actually have a can made for turkey. It’s a big stainless horn fashioned up then almost horizontal that you just fill with your choice of liquid. That said, the spatchcock bird on a smoker is the way to go. Much better smoke penetration and just as juicy. Vote; spatchcock.

Reactions: Millberry
Beer can makes a nice bird, but as mentioned you only need water cuz that’s all steam is. I actually have a can made for turkey. It’s a big stainless horn fashioned up then almost horizontal that you just fill with your choice of liquid. That said, the spatchcock bird on a smoker is the way to go. Much better smoke penetration and just as juicy. Vote; spatchcock.
I really appreciate that--Thanks a lot. Charlie

Other than looking neat, I never really saw much steaming action even when I started with 1/2 can of hot water. I do cook the breasts on a rack without a can, which works good.
D7uQeGt.jpg
And not just for laughs.... I'll do this presentation on occasion, again without a can. BUT, there is some science involved. I freeze the lemons, so they keep the breast cool for 20 or 30 minutes so the dark meat can get a head start. A few times I have made slits in the pulp and put pieces of garlic, or garlic butter in them before freezing. This self bastes the breasts while cooking.
wOWHC.jpg

Spatchcock chicken with a white bbq sauce.
I only use salt and pepper on the bird. Smoker set at 325 degrees. When bird is done, dunk the bird in the white bbq sauce. You can have the white bbq sauce on the side too.
For the white bbq sauce recipe you can search this site or Google it. It’s no secret anymore!!!!

I've seen a pretty tasty recipe for a beer can chicken that had beer and aromatics and other things that mad a sauce in the can that mixed with chicken drippings. Pour over chicken when finished. I'll have to look for it but I'm gonna do it soon. Looked delicious. I spatchcock often but have also had great success with drunk Chicken. I'm in the minority it seems but if you use a good full beer I can taste it on the chicken. With that said I almost always spray my chickens and even wings with beer as they cook. Adds great flavor

Reactions: THutson67
I've seen a pretty tasty recipe for a beer can chicken that had beer and aromatics and other things that mad a sauce in the can that mixed with chicken drippings. Pour over chicken when finished. I'll have to look for it but I'm gonna do it soon. Looked delicious. I spatchcock often but have also had great success with drunk Chicken. I'm in the minority it seems but if you use a good full beer I can taste it on the chicken. With that said I almost always spray my chickens and even wings with beer as they cook. Adds great flavor
Well- Jake==That does sound great. Thanks......

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky