Beer Brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kboss714

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Colorado
I love to brine/marinade my meat before cooking and I know beer is a meat tenderizer. I've only used Guinness with pork but looking to exprand my repertoire of what beers to use. I want to know ideas for pork, beef, chicken, turkey and other meat you menjoy BBQing/ Smoking.

I've noticed that no one has answered this and I probably won't be much input.  I've only used water, fruit juices, Guinness (or stouts), and wine (red and white) to brine and braise.  A hefeweizen would work nicely with pork or chicken I imagine.  Might have to give that a try, though it is my favorite beer and I usually just drink it.  

I've never even thought about brining with beer. But if it makes a chicken as happy as it makes me, I might just give it a go! LOL. Thanks for the idea, David.

Not necessarily brining, but my buddy smoked some chicken quarters in a pan with an IPA and it was fantastic. So maybe that would lend itself to a brine as well.

I use beer a lot as a brine. Bacon,hocks,beef tongue. I 50/50 with water,add salt brown sugar,cure 1, bay leaf,cut up oranges,coriander seed.
It works do well I haven't bothered trying much else. I use cheap beer,mostly black ale but not always.

Reactions: Razyr Sharpe
Hi Ray

I have always brined my Thanksgiving Turkey and usually used a 6 of a good Belgian Triple, it did add some flavor for sure and I bet a good Hef would do the same thing, last Chickens I did besides all of the other goodies I used some bud lite and it does add to the flavor of the meat. Give it a shot

Has anyone tried this yet? I know this thread is like 4 months old but I stumbled across it and it sounded amazing.

Possibly:
Chicken brined in Blue Moon?
Boston Butt brined in Sweetwater IPA?
Chuck Roast in George Killian's Irish Red?
etc...

Just a thought sounded like a wonderful idea when I saw it!

Has anyone tried this yet? I know this thread is like 4 months old but I stumbled across it and it sounded amazing.

Possibly:
etc...

what would you brine in your Natural light ? hotdogs ? sorry that was kind of mean

what would you brine in your Natural light ? hotdogs ? sorry that was kind of mean

If I drank enough of them that might sound like a good idea haha

While we are on the subject I found bud light orange peel that just came out the other day. Bought a 24oz bruiser and it was terrible. Just a warning

Reactions: weev
I have used a few a Yuengling once and a Summit IPA a few times to brine chicken wings. Added a little SPG into the beer and cooked it up on the pellet grill. Everyone seemed to enjoy them.

Possibly:
etc...

Which thread are you talking about SmokinVOLfan?

This one:
Hi Ray

I have always brined my Thanksgiving Turkey and usually used a 6 of a good Belgian Triple, it did add some flavor for sure and I bet a good Hef would do the same thing, last Chickens I did besides all of the other goodies I used some bud lite and it does add to the flavor of the meat. Give it a shot

Then no, can't say I have.

Or this one:

I often cook with wine and beer...and sometimes I put it in my food!

Then it's a definite YES!!!

Chris

Beer is a common marinade in Santa Maria style BBQ. Often times, it usually a lager or pilsner with a simple SPG rub. It is used in Tri-Tip and Chicken. I would imagine beer would work great for pork too. Its great for tenderizing meat and adding a little more flavor to poultry. I'd imagine its not as effective at adding moisture to meat as a traditional brine, but still adds dimensions to your cook. And who doesn't like beer? Good luck!

Reactions: tomboyhn123
Beer is a common marinade in Santa Maria style BBQ. Often times, it usually a lager or pilsner with a simple SPG rub. It is used in Tri-Tip and Chicken. I would imagine beer would work great for pork too. Its great for tenderizing meat and adding a little more flavor to poultry. I'd imagine its not as effective at adding moisture to meat as a traditional brine, but still adds dimensions to your cook. And who doesn't like beer? Good luck!
yes,I also think like you

Aacht Schlenkerla Rauchbier is a German smoked lager that is possibly one of the best beers on the planet on its own, but is a secret weapon of mine when smoking.
It is a Marzen style beer, so the bitterness level is moderate, not over the top like an IPA. I love brining with it.
Brown ales are good for brining too. I tend to avoid beers with high IBU levels. They add bitterness to the food. If I was using a stout, I'd probably stick with Sweet Stout (Left Hand Brewing makes a fantastic one) which is less bitter and has lactose added.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky