Been Taking a Break

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Few people been asking about me. Nice to be miss. Just have not been feeling it last couple months. Gretchen been going through a rough patch. She starting to feel better now. Good friend moved to Boston. Money been tight with this damn market down so much. I need to take my annual IRA withdraw but account down so much been putting off as long as possible hoping for some upside. One more year to SS! Been so hot not been cooking outside much. Almost sold boat got so discouraged not catching anything. Finally took couple weeks off and than caught couple nice ones last week. Wanted to go today but 111 degrees today so did some cooking. Time for an attitude adjustment!

Made this today:

Jeff's Keto Ham Chowder. This is so good!

20220719_113410.jpg

My Low Carb Strawberry Pie

20220719_150405.jpg

20220713_102723.jpg

20220717_124703.jpg 20220717_114724.jpg

Hope that things continue to go in the positive direction and hopefully the market will begin to go up again

Reactions: bill1
You nailed some nice fish that trip! Glad your dogs doing better too. Heck I can’t even remember what I did for that soup, now I want some lol.

Glad to see you are back, this market will make anyone depressed especially on a fixed income. I know I don't want to buy anything right now.

I was wondering if something was wrong as have not seen a post from you in a month. Don't sell the boat, you spent too long looking for it.

Keep your head up bud! Glad to hear Gretchen is feeling better! Nice fish too! Things will get better

Ryan

Awesome fish!! The markets will come back and gas will come down this winter. Just need to vote the current clowns out of office. This has been a terrible experiment. Hang in there!, things will get better!!

Glad to see you back Brian!
Most of the Country is feeling the same as you. Hang in there Bud!
Nice catch!
Al

Yes sir, you have been missed. Sorry to hear about the woes Brian, especially where Gretchen is concerned. Glad she's doing better though. We went through the same thing with Bianca a few weeks back and thought we were gonna lose her. Was devastating to think about but she has fully recovered and is back to being the 12 year old puppy....happy all the time.

Couple of awesome looking fish!! That must feel great to finally score them after the fishing drought. Did you cook them? I sure would have :emoji_wink: We live on Lake Travis which is supposed to be a great fishing lake. Load up the boat and come on down!! I'll take a couple days off and we can hit the lake. Heck, I might even have a steak or two in the freezer we would toss on the grill :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Great to see you back Brian! I'd think Gretchen is really feeling the heat having to wear that fur coat, good to see she's feeling up to snuff. Couple of nice stripers you snagged, I always liked eating striped bass fresh, once frozen they seemed to lose a lot of flavor. RAY

Yes sir, you have been missed. Sorry to hear about the woes Brian, especially where Gretchen is concerned. Glad she's doing better though. We went through the same thing with Bianca a few weeks back and thought we were gonna lose her. Was devastating to think about but she has fully recovered and is back to being the 12 year old puppy....happy all the time.

Couple of awesome looking fish!! That must feel great to finally score them after the fishing drought. Did you cook them? I sure would have :emoji_wink: We live on Lake Travis which is supposed to be a great fishing lake. Load up the boat and come on down!! I'll take a couple days off and we can hit the lake. Heck, I might even have a steak or two in the freezer we would toss on the grill :emoji_laughing:

Robert
She at the age now. Been through it to many times as most of us have. It will be really tough without her as she does most everything with me. I posted about needing a fishing buddy on our fishing forum and several people responded but not sure if should. Crazy people this days. Might roll the dice. I don't get to far away with that 97 Jeep. Want to upgrade but until I can withdraw some money without a big loss going to have to wait. I messed up and put money I had for that in Fidelity back in Nov when market was at its highest. Oh well. Once I start get my SS coming things will look better.

She at the age now. Been through it to many times as most of us have. It will be really tough without her as she does most everything with me. I posted about needing a fishing buddy on our fishing forum and several people responded but not sure if should. Crazy people this days. Might roll the dice. I don't get to far away with that 97 Jeep. Want to upgrade but until I can withdraw some money without a big loss going to have to wait. I messed up and put money I had for that in Fidelity back in Nov when market was at its highest. Oh well. Once I start get my SS coming things will look better.
The car market is so crazy now (and interest rates still going up) I would stay out of buying a car if at all possible until the later of 2023. I have 3 cars north of 100k in miles in the household, just staying on top of all the maintenance for longevity.

Few people been asking about me. Nice to be miss. Just have not been feeling it last couple months. Gretchen been going through a rough patch. She starting to feel better now. Good friend moved to Boston. Money been tight with this damn market down so much. I need to take my annual IRA withdraw but account down so much been putting off as long as possible hoping for some upside. One more year to SS!

She at the age now. Been through it to many times as most of us have. It will be really tough without her as she does most everything with me. I don't get to far away with that 97 Jeep. Want to upgrade but until I can withdraw some money without a big loss going to have to wait. I messed up and put money I had for that in Fidelity back in Nov when market was at its highest. Oh well. Once I start get my SS coming things will look better.
Glad to see you back Brian.

Sorry to hear about your troubles but take what "comfort" you can--sadly there's a few million other people in the same boat (me included).
I think Ray is right about Gretchen suffering from the heat. My old girl Roxy--13 year old black Lab--has really been hurting from the heat, and we're nowhere near the temps you've been getting. I've been brushing her almost weekly to remove as much undercoat as possible and that's really been helping her. We also have a big pond just off the back yard and she goes in for a dip to cool off half a dozen times a day. That really helps. I also give her ice cubes--as many as she wants. She loves to eat them and they help to cool her off inside out. Roxy, my constant shadow, is "at the age now" too. I'll be a total wreck when I lose her, so she's priority one.

Not sure what your SS pays but up here we get Old Age Security (same thing) and it doesn't pay enough for a homeless person to survive.

About all any one can do these days is fight to survive 'til things turn around.

Gary

Glad to see the puppers is better. Thinking the economy, heat, and life has us all down a bit of late. A couple of good looking fish there tho.
Jim

Good to see you, Brian.
This heat has affected most of us. I retired my old CharGriller offset this spring and got an Oklahoma Joe's Highland
and have only used it 3 times. My KUDU hasn't even had the cover off. It's just too hot (at least for me) to hang out outside playing with fire. At least I haven't needed to mow the yard in over a month....
My IRA didn't pay the monthly dividend on time last month because one of the Mutuals was slow. I hate to even open the monthly statements from Edward Jones just to see how much the account has dropped. I told my advisor to just forget about the dividends for a while. It's not going to turn around soon, regardless of elections.
Those fine fish should be enough to get you enthused again :emoji_relaxed:

Sweetwater STRIPAHS!

Nice.If you're ever up in the RI area we'll hit'em up in the salt!

As stated, the heat is tough on everything and everyone. Keep the pooch cool, a little exercise swimming would be best. As far as the fishing, glad you scored on a couple but they are like us, they don't like the heat. May need to concentrate on a little deeper water. That's where we tend to find them in Dakota waters. Surface temps at about 82°, I'm sure you are much more than that, fish just don't like it that warm.
Glad to have ya back !

Couple of nice stripers ya got there Brian and looks like the boat is running great!
Tough times for sure but glad you're back.

Keith

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky