been marinating/curing jerky for almost a week...help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dougmays

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 18, 2010
Gainesville, FL
i made up a batch of "buffalo wing" chicken jerky....so i've been marinating thin sliced chicken in hot sauce, morton's TQ, worst. sauce, and other spices. i put the chicken in the fridge last thursday and with rain, being sick and other stuff going on i still haven't had a chance to smoke/dehydrate it. do you guys think its still ok to smoke and eat if i get it done tonight? been in the fridge for almost a week?  do i need to throw it away an start over?

Let your wife taste a piece of it first and if she makes it to the next day without getting sick then your good to go !!!!!! Sorry I just could not help myself....
devil.gif

I really do not think that I would chance it with chicken if it were beef I would go for it...Chicken ??????? JMO If you have ever been sick from bad chicken then you would know why I say this...

If we had amounts on those things, in particular the amount of TQ & the amount of chicken, and the total amount of liquid it is in, it would be easier to make a call, but with the info you gave, I have to agree with Roller (LOL---Except for Roller's testing method).

Bear

Last edited:
Even with the TQ in it marinating chicken for that long?????? I dont think i would do it.

Chicken jerky marinate for 12 hrs then smoke, vac seal freeze for 2 months or eat it ASAP.

Even with the TQ in it marinating chicken for that long?????? I dont think i would do it.

Chicken jerky marinate for 12 hrs then smoke, vac seal freeze for 2 months or eat it ASAP.

Depends on how much TQ. I have cured turkey breast with TQ for 5 days.

Mine was dry cured, but I'm sure you could brine cure chicken with the proper amount of TQ or cure #1.

That's why I asked for the amounts of each.

If Doug just threw a little of this & a little of that in-----I'd toss it.

Bear

If you followed the directions from the back of the TQ bag to the letter  the chicken is probably safe to eat .

But also since it's strips ,if you followed the directions it will probably be to salty to eat.

If you followed the directions from the back of the TQ bag to the letter  the chicken is probably safe to eat .

But also since it's strips ,if you followed the directions it will probably be to salty to eat.
Yup, I was thinking about that, and wouldn't doubt that either.

So it would either be unsafe, unsafe & too salty, or safe & too salty. No winners there.

Might as well just chuck it!

Bear

I buy chicken tenders and marinade them for 5 to 7 days in the bottom of the fridge, and do them with no problems.

I do use jerky kits from Cabelas and other, complete with cure and I do weigh the meat to have the right amount for the cure.

I have 7.5 pounds in the fridge now for doing mid week, I live alone and am not home through the day so my fridge stays cold.

JMO

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky