Been A Rough Week!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It took me a little time to find this, gave me a little comfort over the years

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this — the last battle — can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close — we two — these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Ray, thanks my friend… though I teared up reading it… it is so true! Appreciate you sharing that! BTW, I shared it with my folks and they tearfully loved it!

Reactions: sawhorseray
Sad day indeed, my friend.
8 years ago we had to make that same decision for Miss Linda's black lab, Addy. Was a real hard decision, and Linda still tears up over her. But when you love them, you can't let them suffer.
My time with Roxy will be coming pretty soon. I dread the day.
About all you can do is remember all the good times together.
Gary

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
That's gotta be one of the toughest decisions to make Justin. I've had to make it more times than I care to remember. The car ride was probably the worst. All of my pups must have sensed what was about to happen. I could tell by their facial and body expressions. Knowing it's the right decision doesn't make it any easier. Just remember the 12+ years of good times you had with Jake.

Chris

Here's a song by Henry Gross that was written about Carl Wilson Irish Setter. I play this song a few times a year in remembrance of my bestest little buddies.

We're in the same boat my friend..
I trained Rosco from a pup to be a bird dog. I trained him on the very 55 drum I made into a UDS.
Ernie and Rosco.jpeg

Rosco is headed on his way and my oldest son in the pic is headed to the Marines in May.
Talk about change...

• Love
So sorry to hear this. We had to put our 15 yr old Shi Tzu down this past October. They're part of the Family. True, they don't live long enough. Got 2 left 14 yrs and 9 yrs. Borrowed time indeed.

• Love
Justin it's a hard thing to do but you know it was the right thing to do. Prayers for you and your family

• Love
So sorry for your loss, it is a very tough decision. They put there trust in you and they know your doing the right thing. Prayers to you and family.

No one will give you the truest love like a dog. I’m sure you will miss him, but remember the good times and smile for knowing him!
Jim

• Love
Justin, it hurts me to read this as we love our dogs immensely and I know the feelings well. I am truly sorry.

Dogs give you some of the best days of your life and one of the saddest and as Will Rogers said...

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”​

“You will be sad, I understand.
Don’t let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.
I know in time that you will see
The kindess that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I’ve been saved.” Anonymous

So sorry the see this news, very sad. Like others I had to make that sacrifice too. December 23rd 2020 I lost my best friend, brother, and son, he was my world!

Regards,
Dave.

• Love
Justin, Sorry to hear of your loss,pets are part of the family. always a tough decision to put them down but you know it's the right one for them.

• Love
That's gotta be one of the toughest decisions to make Justin. I've had to make it more times than I care to remember. The car ride was probably the worst. All of my pups must have sensed what was about to happen. I could tell by their facial and body expressions. Knowing it's the right decision doesn't make it any easier. Just remember the 12+ years of good times you had with Jake.

Chris

Here's a song by Henry Gross that was written about Carl Wilson Irish Setter. I play this song a few times a year in remembrance of my bestest little buddies.

Thank you Chris… I loved that!

Justin, Sorry to hear of your loss,pets are part of the family. always a tough decision to put them down but you know it's the right one for them.

Thanks my friend, was one of the hardest days of my life holding him as he slipped away! Appreciate ya CM!

Justin , very sorry on both losses , as I to feel for John.

And for your time with Jake in your family , it is a very tough time. I hated that I had to make the decision for my Gabby ( in my avatar )
She also was a great little girl ( i called her the little boy I always wanted ) my son hated that. But because of a few health issues and at 16 she was very tired and it was time. I held and talked into her ear as she slowly went to sleep. Still hurts when I think of that day. ( we have 2 more little girls that are 14 and 16 , and I am really dreading what I know is coming )

You made a very hard decision, but you know it had to be made. I would love to say things will get back to normal, but it has been a couple years for me and I still miss and talk about Gabby all the time.

Your pet loving friend
David

Reactions: GaryHibbert
So sorry Justin. I feel for you. I been there to many times. This next one going to just about kill me. They are such great companions. Gretchen is 13 now which is pretty old for a GSD. They will live forever in our hearts.

It is always so hard to say goodbye to a friend. I think we have all been there and know the pain of having to do it. My heart goes out to you in your time of grieving.

JC :emoji_cat:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky