Been A Rough Week!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rafter H BBQ

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 18, 2013
S.E. Idaho
Hey all, as the title states… Lost a good friend here on SMF! Very tough to comprehend he is really gone, I still am looking for a PM from him just shooting the breeze! Was a tough loss for not just myself, but the SMF community!

Then yesterday my fam had to make a VERY hard decision to let our 12 1/2 year old yellow lab Jake be at peace! He was wracked with arthritis and had a heart condition… vet said there was nothing left they could do… We could not let him suffer any longer… he deserved better… He was a great companion to the fam and very instrumental in helping my Mom win her battle with breast cancer! Also, my Dads helper when I couldn’t be there… They become a part of the fam and their loss is hard to take… RIP Jakey, you’ll be missed buddy!

F90A0FE8-2E67-4F7D-8141-26381CD70D8F.jpeg

F6F995FA-6ABB-4FE7-B415-012384F56A6A.jpeg

He was a beautiful friend and I know you will miss him. Find peace in knowing you made the best decision for him. Our yellow Lab made it to 13, but we were unkind to her in making her wait that long, she was literally on her last leg and deserved better from us.

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
I got a real soft spot for old working dogs. I've had to put down 3 really great duck dogs because of health issues....it is never an easy decision. But you have to do right the right thing with the dog in mind. I have found that when it is time, they will usually let you know....condolences to all whom loved the dog and all the lives he touched.

He was a beautiful friend and I know you will miss him. Find peace in knowing you made the best decision for him. Our yellow Lab made it to 13, but we were unkind to her in making her wait that long, she was literally on her last leg and deserved better from us.

Thank you! Don’t beat yourself up… It’s a tough decision and very hard to make!

Justin, sorry to hear about Jake. Yes, it is never an easy decision but when our fury family members are suffering it is the kindest thing we can do.

Stu

Hey Bud...you know I have a soft spot in my heart for labs. I know Jake was a loved member of your family, my friend. And I know how hard it is to make that decision...but he's not suffering any more!

Love and prayers to your whole family!
Red

Appreciate it Ray, gonna be a rough few days… my folks are just devastated! He was a good ol boy!
It took me a little time to find this, gave me a little comfort over the years

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this — the last battle — can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close — we two — these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

It took me a little time to find this, gave me a little comfort over the years

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this — the last battle — can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close — we two — these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.
Shoo Ray, this brought me to tears.

I got a real soft spot for old working dogs. I've had to put down 3 really great duck dogs because of health issues....it is never an easy decision. But you have to do right the right thing with the dog in mind. I have found that when it is time, they will usually let you know....condolences to all whom loved the dog and all the lives he touched.

Thank you Keith… appreciate it!

Hey Bud...you know I have a soft spot in my heart for labs. I know Jake was a loved member of your family, my friend. And I know how hard it is to make that decision...but he's not suffering any more!

Love and prayers to your whole family!
Red

Red, thank you my friend for the kind words… appreciate it buddy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky