Beef tallow French onion soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RichGTS

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 22, 2020
Camdenton Mo
My daughter requested French onion soup and since I just smoked a brisket I thought I would use the beef tallow to carmalize the onions.
I saved some of the brisket drippings that I plan to add in after everything is completed. I’ll cook these down for a hour or better and then add the rest of the ingredients.
I hope this works out like I think it will - right now my kitchen smells amazing!

Attachments

• 45D1D238-88A1-4983-B143-786EFCEE5380.jpeg
    45D1D238-88A1-4983-B143-786EFCEE5380.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 41
Beef tallow, along with pork fat (Lard) and chicken fat (Schmaltz) are ALL amazing... it used to be used a lot and has become almost forgotten... I'm happy to see some people here bringing it back to use!

The reason a lot of older people liked McDonald's fries was because they were fried in beef tallow... then the health nuts put an end to that.

I added garlic, red and black pepper and flour to thicken it up. 64 ounces of beef broth along with the drippings from the brisket. The flavor is outstanding - it has a nice Smokey flavor.
i had to forego the bread and cheese but I’ll be making this again!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: Johnny Ray
Soup looks good. My crew are big fans. You're giving me a taste for French Onion Soup now!

The reason a lot of older people liked McDonald's fries was because they were fried in beef tallow... then the health nuts put an end to that.

A truly sad day for Baby Boomer's! Additionally, I hope the Idiot that came up with, " BAKED Apple Pies, " got a Boot in the Ass! The Fried Apple Pies were delicious...JJ

• Haha
Reactions: RichGTS
Excellent looking dish. We love french onion soup here. That sounds like a good use of what you already have on deck!

Reactions: RichGTS
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky