Beef Street Tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TuckersBarbeque

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 29, 2020
Right Near da Beach... Boyee!
Spending a few years near the border town of Nogales between AZ and Mexico, and now living in NC, I was craving some street tacos. If you've never had a Mexican street vendor taco, you have no idea what you've been missing in a taco.
Its been a few years, so I had a craving. Decided to make it happen. Very authentic...

First, got a gorgeous piece of beef...
Chuck Roast Raw.jpg

Then I rubbed it and smoked it for about 5 hours.
Chuck Roast Rubbed.jpg

Then I put it in a pan and braised it for about 2 hours and then sat on the counter resting for another hour.
Chuck Roast Smoked in Pan.jpg

Finally I pulled it...
Pulled Beef Chuck Roast.jpg

Made some pico de gallo, a spicy creme sauce, and rice and beans. Put it on a corn tortilla... ALWAYS corn for street tacos, never flour. C'mon now.
Street Tacos - Pulled Beef.jpg

Beef Street Taco - Closeup.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Sure looks good! Cant beat a good taco! What did you use for your rub? Great pics by the way.
Thank you!
1 T Smoked Paprika
.5 T Paprika
1.5 T Garlic Powder
1 T Pepper
2 t Cumin
1.5 t Table Salt
.25 t Cayenne Pepper

Heck yeah bud that looks delicious. Nice pics as well
Thank you sir!

The photos reminded me of a little mom and pop Mexican "resturant " Mrs. Wurst to-be and I would eat lunch in San Antonio. Got to make some. Thanks for the memories and the rub recipe! 🍻
I do miss the southwest. Yes, street tacos and ma/pa restaurants down there are exactly like this.
They were sooo good; used a ~3 lb chuck roast.
The caveat to that rub is that I only use it on chuck roasts... they have a much higher tolerance to rubs, damn near impossible to over season a chuck roast. I would maybe consider using it on a brisket as well, but not much else.
Happy Q'ing!

Pulled is authentic that I don't find in any restaurants around here.
Your rub for beef is similar to my universal to use on pork or beef. I don't like sugar.

That's a fine looking piece of work Tucker, I'd go for a plate full, maybe a little guac on the side. Like! RAY
Comin' right up! Thanks!

I can eat street Tacos all the time. One of my favorites.

Yours look great

Just one question. What kind of liquid did you use to braise them with?
Thank you! It has been about 4 years since I've had them, saw a movie with them and got an itch that wouldn't be satisfied until I had some authentic street tacos. I used a low sodium beef broth.

Pulled is authentic that I don't find in any restaurants around here.
Your rub for beef is similar to my universal to use on pork or beef. I don't like sugar.
Agree, not a fan of a lot of sugar... but I sometimes add it. It's a decent rub that I only use for chucks... just because it is near impossible to over-season a chuck.

Reactions: ksblazer
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky