Beef Shoulder Clod?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Cash and Carry (Smart Food Service) always has these at the stores in No Cal. Probably got them down there too. Last time I saw they were around $3.75.

Reactions: S-met
I don't think that we have those stores here in So Cal. I guess I was expecting it to be lower than buying a brisket. I saw a video about cooking this and now I want one lol

G

You're right! I thought they were down there but checked the store locator and they are not. I've seen clods at Costco Business Centers before but don't think they always have them. I did just pick up a shoulder roll from there - they always seem to have those. What are you planning? The price I quoted was for Angus choice I believe. Select would be less, but beef prices are higher now than last year.
There are 4 business centers in So Cal, but none too close to Riverside it seems.

A better option is ask your butcher for the heart of the shoulder clod. a whole or half clod has a lot of connective tissue and varying direction of muscle grain making it a challenge to slice like a brisket as invariably some of it will be stringy. When I buy a clod I always break it down by muscle group, vac seal and freeze most for use later. The clods I have bought are generally in the 30 pound range and have a fair amount that has to be trimmed away.

I buy clods at GFS in Ohio for $2.99 / lbs. I smoke the whole thing but separate the larger and smaller ends. The small end falls apart into delcious pulled beef at 205. The large end does have some crazy grain but I slice and serve with no complaints. I do inject mine with Butcher BBQ Prime Brisket injection. I love doing clods. Likely doing one Saturday weather permitting. Here’s one of mine from the past https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoked-beef-chuck-clod.285960/

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky