Beef Short Ribs for Stroganoff

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xutfuzzy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 14, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
The wife's birthday is this weekend, and she wants to have her friends over for her favorite dinner, beef stroganoff.  This was a trial run to see if I could smoke beef short ribs to make the stuff.

I asked the butcher for 3 lean beef short ribs.  I got two great ones and one semi-lean one (the middle one).

This shows you the approximate thickness, length, and marbling.

Salt and pepper, that's it.

Drawing from my experience with pork ribs, I went for the 2-2-1 method, smoking at 275.  I like 275 over 225 because I think it renders the fat better.  Here they are after the first two hours.

I doubled-wrapped them in heavy duty foil and sent them back into the smoker.  No additional braising liquid or seasoning was added.

While this was going on, I went about making the broth.  I used Better Than Boullion, a white onion, a large carrot, and some garlic.

I cut the vegetables into large "mirepoix" sized chunks, and also rounded up some fresh thyme from my garden and a bay leaf.

I sauteed the onion and carrots for a few minutes until they just started to brown.

Then I added the garlic, bay leaf, and thyme and sauteed for one minute.

Then I added the beef stock, brought to a boil, and simmered for about an hour.

Make sure to cover the stock so that you don't lose too much liquid!

Here are the ribs after 2 hours in foil.  As you can see, they provided their own braising liquid.  I love the fat rendering of 275.

I strained the vegetables from the stock.  You can keep them if you want, but I prefer not to.

For the last hour of smoking, I just opened the foil.  This way they were still open and exposed to the smoke directly, but also still were lightly braised.  Here they are, all done!

Shredded goodness!

The shredded goodness was added to the stock.

s

At this point you now have beef soup.  Time to thicken it up!  I use corn starch and water to make a slurry (learned this from Alton Brown).  I like to use 1 Tablespoon of corn starch to 1 tablespoon of water for the slurry, using as many tablespoons of cornstarch as there are cups of stock.

Here's my slurry, which I will add to the stock.  This prevents nasty clumps.

Hard to tell from the picture, but this has thickened up beautifully, and is gorgeously velvety.

At this stage you have amazing beef stew.  Now it's time to make it stroganoff.  All you need is sour cream.  Add this to taste, and I also like to add a spoonful of Dijon mustard for an extra layer of flavor.

Serve over buttered noodles!

The details:

Smoker: MES40 with AMNPS

Wood: Pitmaster's Choice pellets

Smoking Temperature: 275

Duration: 5 hours, using the 2-2-1 method (2 hours unfoiled, 2 hours foiled, 1 hour unfoiled)

Ambient temperature: 45 degrees or so

This was awesome!

Great job. Have not done mine with smoked meat, will have too.
Have you ever tried dill pickles in yours?

Just an added tip for those that will try this..... When you go to add the sour cream. In a separate bowl mix some of the hot liquid to the sour cream to temper it before adding it to the hot liquid. If you add the cold sour cream to the hot liquid it can break or give you a grainy texture, no taste effect just a look thing.

Great job on the detail of prep and making my mouth water! :drool

Great job. Have not done mine with smoked meat, will have too.
Have you ever tried dill pickles in yours?
Just an added tip for those that will try this..... When you go to add the sour cream. In a separate bowl mix some of the hot liquid to the sour cream to temper it before adding it to the hot liquid. If you add the cold sour cream to the hot liquid it can break or give you a grainy texture, no taste effect just a look thing.
Great job on the detail of prep and making my mouth water!
drool.gif
Have not tried the dill pickle...I know what to do with my leftovers!

Good tip on the tempering of the sour cream.  I will do this from now on!

That looks Great. I was going to ask the same question about the Dill Pickles, Classic Russian, needs Mushrooms too. The Dried Polish/Russian type are best but Italian Porcini work as well as White or Crimini. Just saute the mushrooms with the Carrots and Onions until all has some golden brown color (very important) then follow the recipe as you wrote it. Now I know what I need to make next week...JJ

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky