Beef Short Rib Rack

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Teal101

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
Along with a few other members here I also scored some whole racks of the Chuck Short Ribs from Kroger/Fred Meyer. Decided to do one rack up this weekend on the WSM. Fired it up around 8:30 using Embers Charcoal and 3 chunks each mesquite and cherry wood. Attempting to run at 275* for the duration of the cook. This will be my 3rd cook on the WSM so still learning to dial it in. I used the minion method to light making a charcoal doughnut with the chunks buried in then lighting a whole chimney and putting that in the middle. Half full water pan. Ribs were prepped the night before, silverskin and membrane removed and trimming of the hard fat. Liberally rubbed with Meat Church Holy Gospel, I have seen it used on a lot of cooks on here and decided to give it a try. Once the WSM was to temp on the ribs went.
20200829_082948.jpg

20200829_084907.jpg

After that it was time to do a little work on one of my trucks and make some lunch. I have found a semi local company that does local grown certified angus and only distributes to a few grocers. Unfortunately they are 3hrs away from me so the last time I was in their neighborhood I loaded up on their beef patties. They are 1/4lb un seasoned patties and have some of the best beef flavor I've ever tasted. Did a double with American and bacon on the flat top, seasoned with some Bovine Bold and topped with a homegrown white onion slice. Delicious.
20200829_112549.jpg

2hrs in and looking good. Been playing with the vents a bit, the WSM keeps running away from me a bit, likely due to the high wind we're experiencing. Temps running from 270-290, but able to keep them in that range. At this point I inserted the temp probe.
20200829_105412.jpg

4hrs in. Notice that one rib getting a little weird, mneeley490 mneeley490 had this same thing happen to a rack of his Kroger ribs, very interesting! Barks starting to form, we're sitting around 167* here meat temp.
20200829_123441.jpg

No wrap here, ran her open for the full cook. One thing I love is a good bark. Something I've found with my Traeger is that it is difficult to get that dark meteorite looking black bark with it, not so much the case with this WSM. 8hrs in and we're pulling it to rest and this bark looks amazing. Temp probe slid in like butter registering 198-200, a little lower than what I usually end up pulling beef ribs at. Just goes to show the toothpick method is better than just temp alone for determining when beef is done. Just before pulling the ribs I dropped a pan of mac n cheese in the Traeger to smoke up. Never done a smoked mac n cheese and it came out great! Did a no boil modeled after this thread here
I added some Velveeta to help make it creamier. Next time I will stir a little more often and probably run a little more like and Velveeta, it tasted wonderful, but was a tad stiff throughout the whole cook.
Finished product. Smoke ring is fantastic, bark is dark with a great flavor and texture. Meat is tender as all get out. Mac was delicious. Sided with some Bush's baked beans and cornbread muffins. Absolute hit, glad I bought three two packs of these! Thanks for looking
20200829_180337.jpg

20200829_180344.jpg

20200829_180625.jpg

20200829_180923.jpg

received_311933500238797.jpeg

From the beef ribs, to mac & cheese, to the beans, and right up to that lunch burger I love everything about this cook, big Like! Nice work. RAY

Reactions: Teal101
Ribs look fantastic! So does the rest of your meal, and that burger! Nicely done

Ryan

Looks good enough to eat! I will be over shortly lol. Awesome job!
Thanks, a little late, its all gone haha!
From the beef ribs, to mac & cheese, to the beans, and right up to that lunch burger I love everything about this cook, big Like! Nice work. RAY
Thanks, it was a good day!
Righteous ribs! Big like!
Thanks David!
Ribs look fantastic! So does the rest of your meal, and that burger! Nicely done

Ryan
Much appreciated bud!

Man those look great. Heck of a smoke ring. I scored a bunch of those Kroger ribs too. That burger looks tasty as well. Nothing like good fresh ground local burger without pink slime and whatever else is on that store chub.

Just got home from work and I’m ready for a plate like that! Nice job!
Thank you! I need to do two racks for some leftovers next time!
Man those look great. Heck of a smoke ring. I scored a bunch of those Kroger ribs too. That burger looks tasty as well. Nothing like good fresh ground local burger without pink slime and whatever else is on that store chub.
Thanks! Yeah I was very happy with the smoke rijg on this cook. I played around with how I orientated the wood this time versus my last cook and the results were perfect. And yes, no filler in these beef patties and you can tell, love them.
Wonderful meal, nice job.
Thanks Chile!
Great post, great food and definitely deserves a ride on the carousel! Congratulations!!
Thank you so much!

Thanks mods on the carousel ride, you humble me!

Along with a few other members here I also scored some whole racks of the Chuck Short Ribs from Kroger/Fred Meyer. Decided to do one rack up this weekend on the WSM. Fired it up around 8:30 using Embers Charcoal and 3 chunks each mesquite and cherry wood. Attempting to run at 275* for the duration of the cook. This will be my 3rd cook on the WSM so still learning to dial it in. I used the minion method to light making a charcoal doughnut with the chunks buried in then lighting a whole chimney and putting that in the middle. Half full water pan. Ribs were prepped the night before, silverskin and membrane removed and trimming of the hard fat. Liberally rubbed with Meat Church Holy Gospel, I have seen it used on a lot of cooks on here and decided to give it a try. Once the WSM was to temp on the ribs went.
View attachment 461067
View attachment 461068

After that it was time to do a little work on one of my trucks and make some lunch. I have found a semi local company that does local grown certified angus and only distributes to a few grocers. Unfortunately they are 3hrs away from me so the last time I was in their neighborhood I loaded up on their beef patties. They are 1/4lb un seasoned patties and have some of the best beef flavor I've ever tasted. Did a double with American and bacon on the flat top, seasoned with some Bovine Bold and topped with a homegrown white onion slice. Delicious.
View attachment 461064

2hrs in and looking good. Been playing with the vents a bit, the WSM keeps running away from me a bit, likely due to the high wind we're experiencing. Temps running from 270-290, but able to keep them in that range. At this point I inserted the temp probe.
View attachment 461069

4hrs in. Notice that one rib getting a little weird, mneeley490 mneeley490 had this same thing happen to a rack of his Kroger ribs, very interesting! Barks starting to form, we're sitting around 167* here meat temp.
View attachment 461066

No wrap here, ran her open for the full cook. One thing I love is a good bark. Something I've found with my Traeger is that it is difficult to get that dark meteorite looking black bark with it, not so much the case with this WSM. 8hrs in and we're pulling it to rest and this bark looks amazing. Temp probe slid in like butter registering 198-200, a little lower than what I usually end up pulling beef ribs at. Just goes to show the toothpick method is better than just temp alone for determining when beef is done. Just before pulling the ribs I dropped a pan of mac n cheese in the Traeger to smoke up. Never done a smoked mac n cheese and it came out great! Did a no boil modeled after this thread here
I added some Velveeta to help make it creamier. Next time I will stir a little more often and probably run a little more like and Velveeta, it tasted wonderful, but was a tad stiff throughout the whole cook.
Finished product. Smoke ring is fantastic, bark is dark with a great flavor and texture. Meat is tender as all get out. Mac was delicious. Sided with some Bush's baked beans and cornbread muffins. Absolute hit, glad I bought three two packs of these! Thanks for looking
View attachment 461065
View attachment 461061
View attachment 461063
View attachment 461062
View attachment 461073
Awesome ! Nice Bark and Ring.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky