• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Beef ribs question

phatbac

Master of the Pit
Joined Jun 11, 2013
I have never smoked beef that big but when I do smoke beef ribs I go at least 3 hours in smoke the wrap an hour an a half or more info salt and pepper rub and I don't sauce. I would use 275 degrees or hotter for the smoker. Look for bone about inch and a half to 2 inches bare when done. Don't forget to remove the membrane or the will be tough. Post pics when you're done!

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I don't see why they would be any different than some smaller ribs.

3-2-1 works well on beef ribs.

Al

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
First off, I'm really jealous of that rack!  Hard to find them like that anymore...

The answers above have you covered.  The only thing I would add is to season them like you would season a good ribeye!

801driver

Meat Mopper
Joined Dec 10, 2013
I just smoked a slab of 4 very large beef ribs last weekend on my Smoke-it Electric. These were huge, bones 21/4 to 21/2 wide and meat at least 3 inches on the thick end.  Filled a16x16 rack with about 2 inches side room all around.

I smoked at 225 like I do most everything, and started out with the typical 3-2-1 method with a temp probe.  It wound up being more like 3-2-21/2 to get to 195' IT and start feeling like butter with a poker.  Foiled and let rest about an hour before eating.

They were great.  One rib was a meal for both us.  I deboned and trimmed the others and have them in the freezer to pull out when desired.

flyfishjeep

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 6, 2010
Crankybuzzard- I had the butcher leave them whole when we took our cow to be processed. That's the only way to get them whole like that unless you're buddies with a butcher.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I will be sure to post follow-up pics.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.