beef ribs first attempt need input?

Discussion in 'Beef' started by luke71, Jul 13, 2009.

1. luke71

luke71 Newbie

Hey guys and gals just bought two beautiful looking racks of beef back ribs and just curious as to what temps and times to smoke them at?In the past i have smoked a lot of pork ribs of all variaties but never beef ribs.Also looking for a good rub to spice them bad boys up?

Thanks

2. forluvofsmoke

forluvofsmoke Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I did a new rub for short ribs a while back...very tasty. For beef backs or spares I would use about 1/2 the amount of salt in this recipe:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=77535

225-240* is a good rack temp range.

What ever you choose to do, please, let us know how they turn out!

Good luck!

Eric

3. irishteabear

irishteabear Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

4. uncle_lar

uncle_lar Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I used cavender's greek seasoning and CBP on the last ones I did. 225* or so for 4-5 hrs

5. I just finished 6 racks of beef ribs yesterday. They were a little tougher than I would have liked but the flavor was unbeatable. I used Jeff's rub and added the "secret" ingredient wild cherry kool-aid and smoked them with a combination of hickory and cherry wood. The taste was really unique and everyone love them. I used the 3-2-1 method but I think next time. foil them longer because beef ribs and not as tender as the pork.

Good Luck

6. luke71

luke71 Newbie

can't thank you enough this board rocks!!!!!!great people and great advice can't beat it....

i'll maybe have to post a qview of the ribs

7. newbeestl

newbeestl Fire Starter

How much kool-aid did you use? I packet per batch of Jeff's?

8. herkysprings

herkysprings Smoking Fanatic

I followed TasunkaWitko's beef ribs, but I also marinaded the ribs in Dr Pepper, Soy, LIme juice and alittle EVOO.

Final brush of a little sweet BBQ sauce. Turned out great.