Beef Ribs (Dino Ribs) - Easiest Smoke There Is

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Preacher Man

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Where The River Runs Through It
I just wish the plate rib was as easy to find as it is to smoke.

I seasoned these with a 2:1 ratio of black pepper and kosher salt. I leave the membrane on the bottom to help the meat stay on the bone when everything is done. These get so tender that if you pull it off, I find that the meat just falls off and your guests miss out on the bone-in presentation as they hold up a ginormous rib with shouts of praise and grunts akin to our cave-dwelling ancestors.

I smoked these at 270° until they were probe tender (206° IT). Took approximately 9 hours from start to finish. No wrap. No spritz. No rotating. No flipping. Just time and smoke.

IMG_20210412_074359_019.jpg

These were some choice grade ribs I found online. I have some prime grade in my freezer, but I'm not sure these ribs would need any more marbling.

I'm curious what y'all's thoughts are when it comes to too much marbling, or is that even a thing? The people I served them to all made a comment about how rich the were at some point during the meal. I got the indication that maybe they were too rich for them.

Last edited:
Awesome! Well marbled is what beef ribs are all about and some folks just can't deal with the fat. I love it.
I've only done one full plate and had to special order it through a butcher shop. $30 four years ago!
You're making me want to splurge....

I'm no expert, but I just watched a beef rib video from Moe Cason yesterday. He said his preference is choice and that Wagyu or Kobe have too much marbling and even with a 10+ hour cook not enough of it renders out. To the effect, they're still good but just too rich and after a few bites it becomes too much. While some people will like that, I think I'm with Moe on this one.

Your pic makes me realize I need to find a new store to try. The short ribs at Ralphs's are puny as hell.

Reactions: Preacher Man
They look great. I just did some myself. I use BBBR and I pull them at 200°.
I salt the night before and rub the morning of. Smoke at 250 for about 10 hours just like you done yours. Good job.
20210411_161220.jpg
20210411_161902.jpg

Reactions: Preacher Man
Awesome! Well marbled is what beef ribs are all about and some folks just can't deal with the fat. I love it.
I've only done one full plate and had to special order it through a butcher shop. $30 four years ago!
You're making me want to splurge....
I paid $50/rack for these. Definitely a splurge.
Brisket on a stick. I need to buy some on my next Costco run.
do you have a Costco anywhere close? they sell the best ones here.
I've never seen plate ribs at our Costco. I've even asked about them and they looked at me like I was a vegetarian.

I've never seen plate ribs at our Costco. I've even asked about them and they looked at me like I was a vegetarian.
we can add these to the regional variation in what is sold where list. Tri Tip is also elusive for some parts of the US as well...doesn't make sense to me, but I dont sell meat products.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky