Beef ribs and tri tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
Been eating a lot of pork and chicken lately. Had a craving for some red meat. Got some beef back ribs and tri tip from Kroger. Rubs with a little espresso rub.
27946BFE-C81D-43FC-9807-DC00D32776AB.jpeg
smoker with a little pecan and mesquite chunks going.
3 hrs in the ribs are looking pretty good and the tri tip going in.
CDFB4C84-1240-49A8-B46A-F2AD2F32D9D6.jpeg
537D2AD8-33F9-41BE-803D-CD81643F61B3.jpeg

Sowsage Sowsage i picked these up at Kroger’s. The tri tip were preseasoned. Way too much salt. But, they were cheap with my Kroger card . Next time I’ll go to my butcher and get one.

Reactions: Sowsage
I made that mistake too of buying a preseasoned Tri Tip which totally destroyed the nice beefy flavor. It ended up in a pot of chili.

Reactions: JLeonard
Looks good! Spent too much time in the combine today to eat much of anything...so can I have 2 platefuls!

Ryan

Looks real good to me Jim!
But I’m with you on the ribs, I like pork ribs better than beef ribs.
I’ve even had USDA Prime beef ribs & would rather have a rack of STL’s or BB’s.
Now the TT I really like but I can get Prime brisket for half the price of the Choice TT, so that is what we buy. I think it depends on where you live, some say TT is cheap & some say brisket is cheap. But the opposite is true too, brisket or TT is too expensive. It seems like if brisket is cheap, then TT is expensive & the opposite is true too. Don’t know why, but I guess it has to do with the part of the country you are living. I know the Cali guys get TT for next to nothing & we get brisket for next to nothing down here.
Al

@smokingvolfan the tritip was good sized. But it was preseasoned and I probably should have rinsed it off and seasoned with my own stuff.
Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky