• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Beef ribs and tri tip

JLeonard

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 17, 2020
Been eating a lot of pork and chicken lately. Had a craving for some red meat. Got some beef back ribs and tri tip from Kroger. Rubs with a little espresso rub.
27946BFE-C81D-43FC-9807-DC00D32776AB.jpeg
smoker with a little pecan and mesquite chunks going.
3 hrs in the ribs are looking pretty good and the tri tip going in.
CDFB4C84-1240-49A8-B46A-F2AD2F32D9D6.jpeg
537D2AD8-33F9-41BE-803D-CD81643F61B3.jpeg

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Joined Oct 18, 2017
Looks good Jim! I'll be doing some short ribs tomorrow. Wish I had me a tri tip!

JLeonard

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 17, 2020
Sowsage Sowsage i picked these up at Kroger’s. The tri tip were preseasoned. Way too much salt. But, they were cheap with my Kroger card . Next time I’ll go to my butcher and get one.

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
I made that mistake too of buying a preseasoned Tri Tip which totally destroyed the nice beefy flavor. It ended up in a pot of chili.

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
Looks good! Spent too much time in the combine today to eat much of anything...so can I have 2 platefuls!

Ryan

sawhorseray

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2014
That's a fine combo cook and a real good looking plate Jim, nice piece of work, Like! RAY

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Looks real good to me Jim!
But I’m with you on the ribs, I like pork ribs better than beef ribs.
I’ve even had USDA Prime beef ribs & would rather have a rack of STL’s or BB’s.
Now the TT I really like but I can get Prime brisket for half the price of the Choice TT, so that is what we buy. I think it depends on where you live, some say TT is cheap & some say brisket is cheap. But the opposite is true too, brisket or TT is too expensive. It seems like if brisket is cheap, then TT is expensive & the opposite is true too. Don’t know why, but I guess it has to do with the part of the country you are living. I know the Cali guys get TT for next to nothing & we get brisket for next to nothing down here.
Al

JLeonard

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 17, 2020
@smokingvolfan the tritip was good sized. But it was preseasoned and I probably should have rinsed it off and seasoned with my own stuff.
Jim

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.