Beef rib Xmas concern

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mattso

Original poster
Dec 24, 2018
Hey everyone.

Like a fool, I have agreed to a Christmas smoke for the family. Beef plate ribs were requested and were ordered through a new butcher.

Having unpackaged the two racks I'm a bit concerned about the huge line of fat running through the centre and I'm thinking that maybe they have left an extra layer of muscle over the top of the fat cap that you would usually trim away ? I'm worried that I'm going to need to cut all the meat away from the top to remove the fat cap and silverskin that I fear is hidden beneath that top bit of muscle. Can any of you experts assist and save Xmas for me!? Cheers

IMG_20181224_111054.jpg

That is a beautiful looking rib there my friend, just leave it alone. A lot of that fat will render out during the smoking process.
Al

if its short rib/ plate short rib, i wouldn't worry about silver skin. if its back ribs, I would get the membrane off the backside and season accordingly. (lots of ppl don't even do that) I think that's short rib so I would either coat in cooking spray lightly and then heavy on steak seasoning or a decent coat of Worcestershire sauce and some garlic/pepper/onion. for seasoning i use Chicago or Montreal steak and smoke for about 4-5 hours until the pull back is about 40-50% off the bone. then serve hot.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

That is a beautiful looking rib there my friend, just leave it alone. A lot of that fat will render out during the smoking process.
Al

Thanks Al

I was just concerned in an odd way that they are "too" thick. The butchers here in the UK never really seem to know what I'm asking for! When I have ordered them usually they have been butchered with that thick layer of fat running through the middle as the top cap of fat, all of the meat above that is something I haven't seen on a Beef Rib before, I guess they have just been a little more generous than the others!? It's going to be a long Xmas day for me. These ribs are in a plate of 4, and I have two plates. 4.8kg a piece, I'm fully expecting a 10hr smoke. Wish me luck.

I think they are gonna be great!
So what if you have to eat around a little fat, and I think your right, it's going to be a long day!!
Good luck & take some photo's!
Al

Reactions: Mattso
They look great and wouldn't trim,never see them that nice around here

Reactions: Mattso
Thanks for the advice everyone. Maybe I just got lucky, getting good meat for smoking is tough here in the UK. I'd guess that for things like Brisket and Beef Ribs we are paying half as much again as our American cousins. Still, it beats a Turkey.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky