Beef prices

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Made my weekly run to Gordons food service . Beef knuckles dropped to $3.99 a lb. Last week they were $4.49 , and brisket dropped about the same $.50 . Were $4.49 down from $4.99 . Normal price for the knuckle is $3.39 , brisket is always around $3.59 .
Pack and sell by dates tell me these were recent . Sell by isn't until Dec. 15th .
Meat case was pretty well stocked . Most of the beef was still at a premium , but the sell buy dates were this week , so that tells me the pricing is from the last price point .
I'll go again next week and see what's going on . Doing it this way tells me what the pricing is real time . What's actually available to me , when I'm standing there , and where it looks like it's going .
We just got one of these near me. I really like the place so far.

Reactions: chopsaw
Similar here in Ga. I check weekly in Kroger and Sam's. The last 2 weeks there's been a slight decrease in beef and Chicken, and I go to 3 Krogers. The one nearest to me has a lot of empty shelves, I think they changed Managers. The other 2 are usually fully stocked shelves.

Reactions: chopsaw
We just got one of these near me. I really like the place so far.
All subject to taste , but the Angus all beef franks are good . I buy the 5's .
I like the bacon too , but it's getting up in price . I buy all my meat at GFS .

he last 2 weeks there's been a slight decrease in beef and Chicken,
Yup . They had whole Tyson chickens for 99 cents a pound . Bought 2 of those .

Reactions: MJB05615
The one nearest to me has a lot of empty shelves, I think they changed Managers. The other 2 are usually fully stocked shelves.
I know my Son says it's a guess if the loads are going to show up or not . He goes in early to do his orders , then the slacker from another store robs from him , because he didn't get his in on time .

Reactions: MJB05615
I know my Son says it's a guess if the loads are going to show up or not . He goes in early to do his orders , then the slacker from another store robs from him , because he didn't get his in on time .
We've been going to the Kroger near home for 22 years, and the last 6 months it has steadily gone downhill. Especially the Produce. Just to get a good head of Lettuce I have to go through 10 + to find 1 good one. They had the same manager for about 5-6 years and it was always good. He either left or transferred 6 months ago, and that's when it started. On a whim I went to 2 different Kroger's a few weeks ago on the same day I went to mine, and they both had fuller shelves and much better produce. But since we know where everything in at ours we still go there first, lol.

Reactions: 912smoker
Let’s put this in context. $1000.00 per head in profit to the Packer.

Most animals, generally, flesh out to 60/40 of hoof weight. So a 1500# steer on the hoof will yield about 800- 900# on the rail. My local processor charges .90 cents a pound for processing and packaging plus a kill fee. So they are all over $1.00 a pound to process a steer that I own. There profit to provide this service would be $8-900.00 with no shipping involved. How is a Packer any different? $1000.00 a head is cheap to convert a live on hoof animal into individual cuts wrapped and frozen. I don’t see the problem in that profit per head.

Here is how this works. I have a calf born on my land. I raise that calf for about 2 years to get it close to that 12-1500# range. I sell that steer to you on the farm alive. We ship it to the processor. He slaughters it and hangs it for a 850# “rail weight “ I then collect $3.00 a pound rail weight for the animal from you. Then you pay the processor an additional $1.00 a pound to cut and wrap the meat. All in you are $4.00 per pound for that #850 carcass. So your prime rib roast was included in the $4.00 lb deal just as the hamburger was. That’s from me to your freezer.

Now we have a level playing field to discuss why, exactly, rib steak is $16.00 lb and burger is $5-6.00 lbs.
That is not possible unless they are getting free cattle.

Reactions: pc farmer and DougE

Most animals, generally, flesh out to 60/40 of hoof weight. So a 1500# steer on the hoof will yield about 800- 900# on the rail. My local processor charges .90 cents a pound for processing and packaging plus a kill fee. So they are all over $1.00 a pound to process a steer that I own. There profit to provide this service would be $8-900.00 with no shipping involved. How is a Packer any different? $1000.00 a head is cheap to convert a live on hoof animal into individual cuts wrapped and frozen. I don’t see the problem in that profit per head.

Here is how this works. I have a calf born on my land. I raise that calf for about 2 years to get it close to that 12-1500# range. I sell that steer to you on the farm alive. We ship it to the processor. He slaughters it and hangs it for a 850# “rail weight “ I then collect $3.00 a pound rail weight for the animal from you. Then you pay the processor an additional $1.00 a pound to cut and wrap the meat. All in you are $4.00 per pound for that #850 carcass. So your prime rib roast was included in the $4.00 lb deal just as the hamburger was. That’s from me to your freezer.

Now we have a level playing field to discuss why, exactly, rib steak is $16.00 lb and burger is $5-6.00 lbs.
What you are posting is for single or a small number of beefs. Like I said above, there is no way a commercial processor is paying breakers a grand a head for breaking beefs. If they are, they won't be in business long.

I'd be interested to know what the major retailers (Kroger, Meijer, Walmart, etc.) pay wholesale for their meat, and what their markup is. Between them and the packers, someone is making bank.

I do a cow/calf operation and generally sell off calves at around 6 months , give or take. I figure if I can pay my property tax on the farm and my farm insurance policy with the proceeds, I'm doing good.

What you are posting is for single or a small number of beefs. Like I said above, there is no way a commercial processor is paying breakers a grand a head for breaking beefs. If they are, they won't be in business long.
So you are saying that small processors are making more per head than large processors? Maybe so, but let’s talk about the 15-16 dollar a pound steak.

In actuality, your talking about large commercial processors paying the “breakers” $20.00 an hour to break down a $1000.00 dollar beef. Maybe 6 hours total from slaughter to small white packages. There is math involved here.

I'd be interested to know what the major retailers (Kroger, Meijer, Walmart, etc.) pay wholesale for their meat, and what their markup is. Between them and the packers, someone is making bank.

I do a cow/calf operation and generally sell off calves at around 6 months , give or take. I figure if I can pay my property tax on the farm and my farm insurance policy with the proceeds, I'm doing good.
$200 too $350 per beef.
So you are saying that small processors are making more per head than large processors? Maybe so, but let’s talk about the 15-16 dollar a pound steak.
The price of consumer beef has little to nothing to do with commercial beef processing prices.

$200 too $350 per beef.

The price of consumer beef has little to nothing to do with commercial beef processing prices.
This is exactly what I was trying to promote for discussion.
With volume comes cheaper prices, not higher prices. Wal-mart vs. the local retailer. But with meat it’s totally different, you are saying????

Ok, you're saying that the processors aren't making much, we already know the farmers aren't making anything, so who is making all the money ?

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky