Beef Navel Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Pulled at 170..... Overnight rest.... Then I am going to steam until 200.

View attachment 646565
IMG_20221022_203414359.jpg IMG_20221022_203430727.jpg

Looks good. What's your steam process?
Hahaha.... Super ghetto. Water in bottom of pan..... Keeping bellies on wire cooling racks over water..... Covering pans with foil..... Putting both pans into oven at 275 until bellies hit hit 195..... Let rest 2 hours..... Slice

I've seen Montreal beef recipes use a similar technique.... But those were briskets.... Ultimately I am trying to simulate what I read in that article you sent me, about how the pastrami is moved from smoker into boiling water..... I just don't have the heart to boil these beauties..... Hahahaha

Reactions: TNJAKE
The bark on these badboys is solid and will withstand a good steaming for a few hours. I plan to leave one uncovered in fridge overnight and cover the other one.... Basically out of curiosity if it has impact on final product.... More to follow.

Just put them in the oven. Decided on 300 degrees. Put water in each pan, put meat on cooling rack over water, tightly covered meat with foil..... I was careful to ensure foil doesn't touch meat.

Now I am just waiting for them to hit 200.

Very, very juicy. Cure went all the way through. The next one I make I will have it in brine for 3 weeks, as I want it saltier..... Or I can just put salt in rub ( which I didn't this time)

I did a total JV move and sliced with grain.... But it was still extremely tender

I believe the steaming is necessary and would do it again..... There is just so much fat that needs to be rendered. In the future, I will steam at 225 for 6ish hours vs the 300 I used this go around.

The Bark was perfect and held up against the steaming.... None of it rubbed off.

Looks outstanding. Was wondering how fatty the end product would be. Looks very tender. Bet those thin slices on the other belly will melt in your mouth. Nice work bud
Thanks man. I'm also going to remove all fat from top and bottom of the next one I make before brining it..... This time around I only removed all fat from bottom.

In my opinion, 200 is the perfect temp for it. It holds together well.

As far as the to-slice one goes, I'm waiting for temp to drop below 35 degrees before I run through the machine.

At $3.27 / lbs, I am going to use this as my go-to pastrami cut. It blows my mind how cheap beef navel is.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky