Beef Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gene reda

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 3, 2005
Northern New Jersey
Does anyone have a good recipe for smoking beef jerky? I had made some in the past using a heavily soy sauce based recipe that ended up tasting a lot too much like soy sauce! Has anyone tried it with Yoshida's sauce or some kind of Terriyaki seasoning instead?

Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Send me a private message and I'll send you a large book of Jerky recipes I got off the net. Some good info and a ton of recipes. This should help.
Shane

Shane, If I send you a pm will you send me the jerky info too??

Thanks-

Earl D-

I know this is an old post but here goes 1/2 cup soy 1/4 cup hot sauce
1 T garlic powder 1 T onion powder , if it's to salty for your taste cut with water . Smoke @ 150 - 180 check after 3 hours I smoke it between 4 to 5 hours with charcol and applewood . Can not make it fast enough to please anyone . Later alemaster

Alemaster,

I make quite a bit of jerky, I've been averaging 8 to 10 pounds a week for a couple of months now. I do use a heavily soy sauce based recipe but with a couple of twists. Like you said it tends to be alittle on the salty side, but instead of cutting it with water try adding dark brown sugar to the recipe. It tends to hide the salty taste very nicely. I also smoke it heavily with a mix hickory and Kingsford. The nice thing about this recipe is that you can do about anything with it. It lends itself good to anything from sweet to regular to hot jerky. Slightly sweet jerky is a huge hit around my area and it seems like I'm the only guy making it. Keeps me busy.

Mike

What cut of meat do you use, and how thick do you cut it to make jerky? I'd like to do a batch of it soon, it sounds really good.

Hey Pyre,

When I did jerky I used round steak (not tenderized) and cut the strips about 3/8" thick and as long as I could make them.

Here's what they looked like after 3 hours at 190 deg.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky