Beef Jerky - something new

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
I picked up 5 pounds of beef rouladen today, sliced betweem 1/4" and 3/8"

Looking to try a new recipe, something sweet but with a peppery bite.

Prefer a recipe with cure #1 or Tenderquick.

Want to cold smoke first, them bring up to temp slowly afterwards,

Ideas?

Anyone want to share a recipe?

I haven't found a better variety of stuff than Jerkyholic has.
I like that his recipe's are printable.
Makes it easy to take them to the kitchen. ;)

In my experience the finished jerky is never as hot as you think it will be when making the marinade. I got the ghost peppers because when using 30 or 40 dried ground habanero was about 1/4 to 1/2 as hot as I was looking for. I read on them being 2 to 10x hotter than the habanero so I decided to only use 2 or 3 and was disappointed in the heat level but flavor was decent. Next batch I threw caution to the wind using 20 dried ground ghost peppers. The flavor was awesome heat was still not there. Heck eve a buddy of mine who thinks ketchup is spicy was somewhat tolerant of the 20 pepper variant. Ghost peppers heat is in the throat and back of the mouth, habanero more in the front of the mouth and tongue. So I though why not add them together

3rd batch was what I posted and has lots of ghost, habanero, jalapeno/serrano mixed, crushed red and black pepper and is still not as hot as I was looking for.

Next I'm going to try some carolina reapers and jump in with 10 or 12 of those.

Good to know. I picked up 20 habaneros today, they'll have to do this time around.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky