Beef heart pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

617Smoker

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 4, 2020
This is a new one for me, but I saw this item on a menu and thought I could try it. I have made bacon, pastrami etc. but haven't cooked or cured heart, so any suggestions are welcome.
The heart was 3# untrimmed.
IMG_9876.JPG

When I opened the package, I was a little surprised to see it had been sort of butterflied already, but that was fine with me. I was probably going to do that myself anyway because I thought the whole heart may have been too thick for the cure without injection, which I don't have anything for. The fat was easy to trim. I found some silver skin-type material on the outer surface which I will leave alone if there is a next time. it did not come off easily and I took a few chunks out of the muscle. Sorry no pictures that would have been helpful.
I made a wet cure and added coriander seeds, bay leaves, a few juniper berries, course ground and whole black pepper, mustard seeds, a little celery seed garlic and onion powders to the #1, salt, sugar and water. I'll make up a more traditional pastrami rub heavy on coriander and black pepper for after the cure.
Here it is in a gallon ziplock bag ready for a week-long nap in the fridge. I'll take it out of the cure Friday or Saturday and smoke it Sunday along with some belly bacon that's already on its way. Stay tuned... IMG_9877.JPG

Watching as well! Have several deer hearts from this season!

Ryan

Even though it's a muscle, beef heart has a texture kind of like really firm liver. Here's one I smoked...

I don't see why you couldn't make pastrami out of it...

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Huh... I've not tried my own pastrami yet but I still have a frozen beef heart I bought a few weeks ago to grind for detroit style coney sauce. This looks interesting.

I do it all the time with venison harts. They cure fast weather using quick tender or injectable cure. The only thing I found is going light on rub before putting in smoker. Think because lean mussel it can be over powering. IT 135 and makes great reubens. Would love seeing pictures of finished product.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I’ve used beef heart in summer sausage, but never pastrami. Watching.

I do it all the time with venison harts. They cure fast weather using quick tender or injectable cure. The only thing I found is going light on rub before putting in smoker. Think because lean mussel it can be over powering. IT 135 and makes great reubens. Would love seeing pictures of finished product.
Good points thanks

In for the ride. I’ve never had heart but I have a beef heart and tongue in the freezer a buddy gave me.

In for the ride. I’ve never had heart but I have a beef heart and tongue in the freezer a buddy gave me.
Tongue is one of the finest cuts of beef. Cant tell you how many times iv heard of people buying a 1/2 side of beef and either throwing it away or giving to me. Trying to tell them how good it is waste my time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky